Making aged canvas

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Making aged canvas

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

How would one go about making aged-looking canvas? I've heard that you can soak a paper towel in tea or coffee. Is this correct? And are there any other methods to producing an aged, worn-out looking "sail"?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Kitchen towels tend to be textured. Don't use toilet tissue. It's designed to disintegrate in water. Kleenex facial tissues are best. These are designed not to disintegrate easily when wet. Soaking them in diluted PVA is the usual method of working with them. You could either add a stain at that stage or paint them carefully later. It depends what scale you're working in.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The tea trick does work. Don't overdo it. Canvas shouldn't be dirty. It may have been patched, though. Also, sails had noticeable seams and strengthening panels.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
ModlrMike

Post by ModlrMike »

Go to your local discount store and buy a dress making pattern. The paper that these are printed on is already the right colour. Just wet it down with glue and it will stiffen up as it dries. You can then dry brush some highlights or low lights as needed.
Regards...
Michael
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Coffee filters!
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
MillenniumFalsehood

Thanks for the replies. :)

The canvas I'm trying to model is on a victorian-era looking spacecraft, so I'm wanting these to be yellowed and worn, as if they've been exposed to the direct rays of the sun for years. The sails on these ships serve as a sort of 'shield' and will have blast marks from ED guns and cannons. I think I'll try coffee filters and facial towelettes. :)

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Ti Raven wrote:Coffee filters!
Brilliant!!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Thank you Sir! I do have my moments... unfortunately, they seem to be slowly becoming senior moments! :wink:
*Artistically Whimsical
all-thumbs
Location: Research Triangle.... researching Triangles since 2436 BC

Post by all-thumbs »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:Thanks for the replies. :)

The canvas I'm trying to model is on a victorian-era looking spacecraft, so I'm wanting these to be yellowed and worn, as if they've been exposed to the direct rays of the sun for years. The sails on these ships serve as a sort of 'shield' and will have blast marks from ED guns and cannons. I think I'll try coffee filters and facial towelettes. :)
a ship for Space 1899 perhaps?
MillenniumFalsehood

Something like that. :wink:

Stubbs

Post by Stubbs »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:Thanks for the replies. :)

Where I live, I've got well water with iron content that is off the charts. I just run some of the water (pre-softner) into a pan and let the fabric sit in it for a couple of days, then let it air dry.

Aside from spacecraft, I build scale wooden ships. The sails dry to a nice, faint rusty tan color.

I've tried the same thing with watered down acrylic paint, and it works just as well, though the right mix of pigments can be a pain in the butt to hit just right.
What's more dangerous? The guy holding a gun to your head, or the guy who has the literary skill to make poison read like sugar?

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/ ... hotobucket 'el Stubbserino</a>
Whiteraven_2001

Post by Whiteraven_2001 »

I can recall reading about inexpensive handkerchiefs soaked in tea. IIRC, that was used in a FineScale Modeler article quite some time ago. The author soaked the handkerchiefs, laid them out over a plastic beach ball and when they'd dried, the author cut them to shape. They were automatically given a "belly" that way.
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

Mix the tea with a bit of white glue. Try 1/4-cup glue, 2 cups boiling or hot h2o , and 1 used black tea-bag. You can tear the bag & sprinkle a bit of the loose stuff over the cloth for a really aged and decrepit look.
*Artistically Whimsical