Question about Resin Casting

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Treadhead

Question about Resin Casting

Post by Treadhead »

Is there something I can add to resin that will allow it to stick to the sides of a mold? I know that microballoons can do this, but I'm afraid that when it comes to sanding that it will leave a lot of pinholes.

There are some fillers that will accomplish this, but what is the best one? I want a hollow casting that has durability and strength, but yet thin enought that will allow me to put an interior in the thing. I thought about fiberglassing, but kinda shied away from that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Smooth-On sells a material called Ure-Fil.
Excellent filler for Roto-Molding or slush casting.

Not too much impact to the resin when it comes time for sanding.

Hope this helps ya'

Modelnutz :8)
"the name sez it all"
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

modelnutz wrote:Smooth-On sells a material called Ure-Fil.
Excellent filler for Roto-Molding or slush casting.

Not too much impact to the resin when it comes time for sanding.

Hope this helps ya'

Modelnutz :8)
"the name sez it all"

This helps me out a lot :D
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Most welcome
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Talc, AKA baby powder. I've never tried microbaloons or the fancy smooth-on stuff, but plain old talc has always worked fine for me.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Microbaloons works very very well.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Leaky Rowboat wrote:Microbaloons works very very well.
I heard that microbaloons works great as a heat sink that really minimizes shrinkage. My only fear of using them is sanding afterwards. I remember hearing that it leaves a lot of pinholes.

Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

See if you can't just get a higher viscosity resin that you like.

:wink:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Is it possible to pour a thin layer of straight resin in the mold, slosh it around a bit until it sets, then pour another layer with the microballoons, slosh it around until it sets?

This way you would get an outer layer that you could sand without worrying about the filler interfering with the finish, unless you're planning on really going to town with the sanding and need to hog off a lot of resin.

Ken
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

kenlilly106 wrote:Is it possible to pour a thin layer of straight resin in the mold, slosh it around a bit until it sets, then pour another layer with the microballoons, slosh it around until it sets?<snip>
Yes, but by the time you've poured your first layer, you would have what would amount to as a hollow casting (that is, if you use enough resin to make at least 1/8" wall thickness) At which point, you would not need the second pour.

Good idea though, if you need to make a lightweight solid piece. I'll remember that.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Leaky Rowboat wrote: Yes, but by the time you've poured your first layer, you would have what would amount to as a hollow casting (that is, if you use enough resin to make at least 1/8" wall thickness) At which point, you would not need the second pour.
I wasn't thinking going that thick, I was thinking more of 1/16" max, depending on the depth of the surface detail. Then add enough resin mixed with microballoons and slosh it around to get to an 1/8" +/- wall thickness.

Since the original poster wants to be able to sand the outer surface, but not deal with all the pinholes you would get if you used microballoons in the surface coat, I was thinking along the lines of what you do with fiberglass, do a gel coat first, then add the glass fiber behind it.

Ken