Help finding plastic for Vacuforming

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darthmadonna

Help finding plastic for Vacuforming

Post by darthmadonna »

I am working on a project , making blister packages. Like an action figure comes in. It would be really helpful if I knew of a place to order the clear plastic.
Thanks
Loachnut

Post by Loachnut »

Try here for starters: www.harborsales.net
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

John buys these plastic sheets (#50091) from US Plastics for most (maybe even all) of the canopies he makes for products in the store.

Hope that helps,

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Acetate shrinks is not a good plastic of choice for thermoforming. Styrene works well, but heats unevenly.

By far the best (clear) plastic you can use for thermoforming is PETG (don't ask me what the acronym stands for). This plastic is inexpensive and widely available from plastic wholesalers in large 4'x4' or 4'x8' sheets in various thicknesses.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

Leaky Rowboat wrote:Acetate shrinks is not a good plastic of choice for thermoforming. Styrene works well, but heats unevenly.

By far the best (clear) plastic you can use for thermoforming is PETG (don't ask me what the acronym stands for). This plastic is inexpensive and widely available from plastic wholesalers in large 4'x4' or 4'x8' sheets in various thicknesses.
the stuff sold in hobby shops labeled clear styrene can not be vacuformed successfully. you need the same plastic that blister packs are made of which is the PETG.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Co-polyester is the other one.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

clear butyrate (bought at a hobby store) vacuforms nicely as well.