What is blue foam?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkson

What is blue foam?

Post by Darkson »

Hi everyone!

As the tittle says, what is blue foam? Where can I get it (in Australia)? How do I use it? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

Jack.

:D
Alvis 3.1

Post by Alvis 3.1 »

I'm assuming it's the solid block-type insulation foam using in housing and other construction work. It's available in sheet form of various thicknesses and is easily cut and sanded. I get it in Canada from hardware stores. Like Future Floor Wax, it may be available under a different name where you live.

Unless you meant something else...

Alvis 3.1
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Rigid Polystyrene Foam Board.
Commonly used for housing insulation.
Dow Corning is one manufacturer

Cuts easly, glues with epoxy and spray contact cements , sands well, polyester ( fiberglassing ) resin melts it, Bondo melts it, urethane resins do not melt it,found in 2-3 thicknesses 1/2"- 2", cheap, takes paint fairly well ( not "hot" paints like laquer..they melt it )

There's blue and pink commonly available...the pink is softer and kind of flexible....the blue is better for modeling IMHO.

Look for it at home repair centers or insulation suppliers.

Hope this helps.....
Modelnutz :8)
"the name sez it all"
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Actually blue (and pink) insulation foam are not available everywhere, just in places where temperatures drop down far enough to require better home insulation.

It's very difficult to find in Southern California, for instance. It'll probably be very difficult to find in areas with a similar climate.

I got my pink and blue foam as leftovers from a project in Astronomy. It had to be special ordered!
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Linky - OK, this one's not blue, but you get the idea.
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

You should be able to get sheets of blue or pink foam at any home improvement store.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

FYI...the link that Linda has supplied is not the type of foam we've been discussing.....it's better! :shock:

Her link shows you a urethane foam that is similar to RenShape board used by pattern makers as well as others.

It's a much denser material which will give you a crisper edge when machined and it's much more durable ( and expensive).
Being urethane as opposed to styrene based, Bondo and polyester resin will not attack it.
Gap filling Super Glues work very nicely on it as well.

Just be sure to use some breathing protection when machining it...the dust WILL mess you up ( very abrasive )

I highly recommend it as a modeling material !

( I'm going back to lurking now :roll: )

Modelnutz :8)
"the name sez it all"
budgie

Post by budgie »

Darkson,

If you know any R/C aircraft modellers have a word with them, its reasonably commonly used in making R/C aircraft wings (when skinned with thin ply) over here in the UK. I assume your R/C modellers may well know where to access the stuff too.

If not then as mentioned try your big hardware/DIY stores

Budgie
<A HREF="http://budgie.scifimodels.org.uk/">SCIFI SCOTLAND</A>
<A HREF="http://scifimodels.org.uk"> SFM:uk </A>
I don't know about art but I know what I like..Ill be the serpent in your blood on a Saturday night..
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Try looking for Polyfoam
Abolish Alliteration
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

macfrank wrote:Actually blue (and pink) insulation foam are not available everywhere, just in places where temperatures drop down far enough to require better home insulation.
Not true. Insulation works just as well to keep a building cool as it does to keep a building warm.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Uggh, struggling, can't keep from making...joke

blue foam is...foam that's blue.

*gasp* there, it's been said. Linda's right. I can't keep my musings to myself no matter how funny they seem to me at the moment.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Leaky Rowboat wrote: Not true. Insulation works just as well to keep a building cool as it does to keep a building warm.
Fine, not available in temperate climates. It's simply not available in Southern CA and from what the guys who had to special order the foam, not easily available in-state.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

I can second MacFrank's experience. I live in San Diego, and I've searched high and low for the stuff, and have never gotten anything better than a goldfish expression from any of the vendors I've talked too. It's wierd, as if the nearly entire building contractor and supply industry down here has never even heard of such a substance.

In conversation on other boards I've found out that this isn't just a climate thing. People in other other regions with similarly temperate climates (like Florida, for example) seem to be able to get the stuff with relatively little extra searching. Dunno why SoCal's such a dead zone for it. You can get bead-type expanded polystyrene foam insulation, as well as this other flexible stuff similar to what boogie boards are made of, so there appears to be a market for it, but still....
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Darkson

Post by Darkson »

I think I've found it at an insulation supply store.

My next question is, what do I need to cut, carve and/or shape it?
max142

Post by max142 »

Darkson: get a sharp knife and run it through a wax candle. you will have to do this every now and then. Also check out the following link.

http://www.rendezvous-design.com/cdoll/Models/Moya.htm

I put in Star Wars forum also in your other thread
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

http://www.barrule.com/Workshop/images/ ... /index.htm

search for Foamular in USA or DOW Styrofoam, 'depron', 'rohacell' or 'sintra' are alternatives to "blue foam".

A lot of this stuff is banned in California which is why its hard to find there.

Oz - again look for Foamular or DOW Styrofoam (32kg/m3 or denser ideally)
Darkson

Post by Darkson »

Ok, I have the DOW blue foam.

Another question!! lol :roll: When I have carved/shaped a piece, what can I do to smooth or cover it?

Thans!

Jack.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Spackle, plaster, 2 part epoxy putty, Aves, MagicSmooth (or MagicScuplt).

Mind you, Aves and MagicScuplt are the perfered.
Abolish Alliteration
max142

Post by max142 »

have good success with bondo. smooth on then sand. fill any bubbles with bondo glaze and spoty.
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Shinnentai wrote:I can second MacFrank's experience. I live in San Diego, and I've searched high and low for the stuff, and have never gotten anything better than a goldfish expression from any of the vendors I've talked too. It's wierd, as if the nearly entire building contractor and supply industry down here has never even heard of such a substance.

In conversation on other boards I've found out that this isn't just a climate thing. People in other other regions with similarly temperate climates (like Florida, for example) seem to be able to get the stuff with relatively little extra searching. Dunno why SoCal's such a dead zone for it. You can get bead-type expanded polystyrene foam insulation, as well as this other flexible stuff similar to what boogie boards are made of, so there appears to be a market for it, but still....
That is Double+weird...I can only think it might be some enviromental
regulation. It is available in Texas-I've just used up my first sheet.
Frank, Shinnentai-if you need some, let me know-I could cut it into
managable sizes fro shipping with ease.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Dr. Yo wrote: That is Double+weird...I can only think it might be some enviromental
regulation. It is available in Texas-I've just used up my first sheet.
Frank, Shinnentai-if you need some, let me know-I could cut it into
managable sizes fro shipping with ease.
I have a stockpile of blue and pink foam now, but it's really not easy to find around here. It may not be an environmental thing - contractors around here may just prefer to use something else.