New Toy

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkov

New Toy

Post by Darkov »

Well I finally went out and did it. What you ask......I went and bought this.

NEW_TOY

Harbour Freight had them on sale(ending today) for $369.00

So I bit the bullet and bought one. Now I can finish a couple of projects that I have waiting.

Just have to clean all the Nasty Red grease off of it.

Pete
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

and spend another coupla hundred on accessories.

Congrats. I love my lathe. Nicest tube cutter I ever bought.
Abolish Alliteration
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

Too cool. Good catch, that! :8)
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Sorry to hear that, you could have gotten a much better mini lathe at a cheaper price at Rockler. The JET mini-lathe is more reliable and far more stable at higher speeds.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2441
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

'cept that's a wood lathe and is missing several componants common to metal lathes.
Abolish Alliteration
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

That's a wood lathe all right.....Didn't have a need for just a dedicated wood lathe. Nice thing about the 7x10 metal lathe is that you can buy a wood working tool rest to take the place of the metal tool bit. So you can still turn wood if the need comes up.
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

ahh, sorry Darkov :oops: . I thought that unit you got there was a wood lathe. Many apologies!
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
animek

Post by animek »

Darkov wrote:Nice thing about the 7x10 metal lathe is that you can buy a wood working tool rest to take the place of the metal tool bit. So you can still turn wood if the need comes up.
Maybe right, but you'll see, you will have to do plenty of grinding and adjustment to the tool rest unit to make it fit in your lathe tool holder, especially the one from Micromark.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=82570

The tool rest shaft is too short, I had to build a new longer one.
the block of the unit does not enter the slot of the tool holder, I had to grind it to a smaller size, and so on.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

animek wrote:
Darkov wrote:Nice thing about the 7x10 metal lathe is that you can buy a wood working tool rest to take the place of the metal tool bit. So you can still turn wood if the need comes up.
Maybe right, but you'll see, you will have to do plenty of grinding and adjustment to the tool rest unit to make it fit in your lathe tool holder, especially the one from Micromark.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=82570

The tool rest shaft is too short, I had to build a new longer one.
the block of the unit does not enter the slot of the tool holder, I had to grind it to a smaller size, and so on.
Depends on the size of the tool post. IIRC that's for a 1/2 inch tool rest, not the 3/8 that most have. Then again it could be for 5/8 or 3/4 post. Check out the Little Machine Shop.
Abolish Alliteration
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

ooo... many spinning projects could be made quickly with that...
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

Kylwell wrote:and spend another coupla hundred on accessories.
Yep, I went out and bought a new 6" bench grinder and a bunch of tool blanks today....there goes another $50.....isn't our hobby fun :roll:

Pete
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Just wait until you want a collet set, follower rest, knurl cutter, steady rest, live centers, and mill adapter (which means you'll also need the clamp set, divider plate, angle plates...)
Abolish Alliteration
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Kylwell wrote:Just wait until you want a collet set, follower rest, knurl cutter, steady rest, live centers, and mill adapter (which means you'll also need the clamp set, divider plate, angle plates...)
And then you run out and buy a mill... :|
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

end mills, fly cutters, boring bars, v bocks, 1-2-3 blocks.....
Abolish Alliteration
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Yep, I went out and bought a new 6" bench grinder and a bunch of tool blanks today
Just wait until you want a collet set, follower rest, knurl cutter, steady rest, live centers, and mill adapter (which means you'll also need the clamp set, divider plate, angle plates...)
And then you run out and buy a mill...
end mills, fly cutters, boring bars, v bocks, 1-2-3 blocks.....
We need a "Tim the Tool-Man Taylor" series of manly caveman grunts here. :D :D :D

Dennis
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

It is addicting isn't it :twisted:

Already started mod'ing the thing......Cam release for the tail stock.

And a bunch of other little mods I found on www.minilathe.com

As for a mill.....I've had my eye one one of those for a while too.

That darn Tim the Toolman syndrome

Pete
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

This thing is not even at the house yet, and my friend has me looking at collets... Plus he is making me build my own computer to run the thing. :?
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

DennisH wrote:We need a "Tim the Tool-Man Taylor" series of manly caveman grunts here. :D :D :D
Ooh ooh ooh!
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:
DennisH wrote:We need a "Tim the Tool-Man Taylor" series of manly caveman grunts here. :D :D :D
Ooh ooh ooh!
From the gut, Mr. Horshack.
It's a great day for America, everybody!