cutting styrene parts

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SeniorOrtega

cutting styrene parts

Post by SeniorOrtega »

I was wondering what the best way(s) are to cut a styrene model (in order to remove panels and such).

I have been using just a hobby knife to slowly cut a line into the material surrounding a panel. I was just wondering if there are better methods/ cleaner ones. thanks
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That or a very fine kerf Dremel saw is about the only way I know of.

You can sometimes grind/file/sand down the back to thin it a bit before scribing the panels out.
Abolish Alliteration
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

There are now PE saws that are quite narrow. Try Hobby Link. I have a jewelers type hack saw with a super narrow blade but found it hard getting it to cut straight.

The back side of the EXacto knife works in a pinch.

Alex
Styrofoam Guy
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The SM store sells some PE saws. Often, the best way is to scribe the line first, and then continue/cut out the part. Scribe with a positive guide - like label tape. It may seem like it's taking a long time, but precision is worth the effort.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Another way to cut panels into styrene is to drill a series of holes inside or outside the perimeter of the panel you want to cut out at close intervals. Then you can use a sprue cutter to snip away at the material between the holes you drilled. You can than smooth over the rough edges with a series of files and Boom.... you're done.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Multiple methods--just like anything. In no particular order:

Those PE saws are pretty sweet.
Back of an X-acto knifeblade in a pinch.
Scribing tool if you don't mind a kerf.
Pin in a knifehandle is slow.
Dremel works, but can be pretty hard to control.
A knifeblade can leave a ridge.

Me, I'd choose between the PE saws and a scribing tool. Especially if the panel is away from the opening--then you wouldn't be able to notice the kerf.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Sewing thread. I kid you not. Learned it from a tutorial about cutting the doors out from one piece car kit bodies. Use a tiny drill bit to make a hole somewere along the line to be cut, thread the thread through (say that ten times fast :P ), wrap the thread ends around your fingers like dental floss, and saw along the line.

Sounds daft, but it works. You gotta replace the thread every inch or so, but it's much easier to control than a jewler's saw, and with a finer kerf to boot.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
modelbaseguy

Post by modelbaseguy »

I must have seen the same tutorial as Shinnentai because I now use that technique all the time for opening doors, hoods, hatches and trunks on various vehicles. It really works great and if you get a high grade thread it won't break nearly as fast. The cuts are so thin that rarely if ever need repair just clean them up with super fine sanding sticks and your ready to go. I clamp the thread into my jewler's saw so that I have a hand free to hold the kit part in place.

The process is more like a hot knife than a saw accept that you are using the friction of the thread to create the heat. It does much less damage to your parts that the thinest saw blade but does take some practice to control it well. Good luck on your project SeniorOrtega.
William
"The" Model Base guy

Follow me on Facebook
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Interesting...would some kevlar thread work better? It's pretty abrasive, and tough...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
modelbaseguy

Post by modelbaseguy »

Dan, I don't know but it is possible though your cut may be a bit rougher than with high quality thread. You see it is not the abrasiveness so much as the heat generated that makes this process work. Actually you are melting the piece into separate pieces and not cutting them. I say give it a shot on some scrap and let us know how it goes.
William
"The" Model Base guy

Follow me on Facebook
SeniorOrtega

Post by SeniorOrtega »

I ended up combining a couple methods. I heated up a very thin scalpel blade with a butane torch. They I cut the material as fast as i could. It created some ridges on both the cut out and the original piece. But since the cut out was going to be scrap, it didn't matter. Then I finished the edges off with a hobby knife, and sanded smooth. It worked all right for the first time, but it is a very imprecise/brutal method. I wouldn't recomend it if your going use the panel you cut out.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

modelbaseguy wrote:Dan, I don't know but it is possible though your cut may be a bit rougher than with high quality thread. You see it is not the abrasiveness so much as the heat generated that makes this process work. Actually you are melting the piece into separate pieces and not cutting them. I say give it a shot on some scrap and let us know how it goes.
Thread to cut plastic ! Who'd have thunk it. Ingenious ! :idea:
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Rio

Post by Rio »

TREKKRIFFIC wrote:
modelbaseguy wrote:Dan, I don't know but it is possible though your cut may be a bit rougher than with high quality thread. You see it is not the abrasiveness so much as the heat generated that makes this process work. Actually you are melting the piece into separate pieces and not cutting them. I say give it a shot on some scrap and let us know how it goes.
Thread to cut plastic ! Who'd have thunk it. Ingenious ! :idea:
Freakin' eh!!! :shock:
I think I might twist thin wires into each other and use that too.
Time to try!
Riö<*>
Semper Sci Fi!
Founder Pro-Aztec Starship League :8)