Aves Sculpt cure time? (new problem)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Aves Sculpt cure time? (new problem)

Post by Digger1 »

It's been about three hours now and it's still rubbery. I mixed for about a minute in my fingers two pieces of each which are about the side of a dime (flattened out).

It's rainy/overcast here today. Could that have something to do with it?
Last edited by Digger1 on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

anyone?

'cause I'm starting to feel it's not what it's cracked up to be. If I can't get replies to what I might have done wrong or if it doesn't cure by tomorrow evening (time to get replys), I'll be returning it and going with bondo.

I mean everyone here seems to rave about it but it's still rubbery. I know I mixed equal portions of the A&B. Do I need a slight amount of one or the other?

Again, does the humidity play a factor in cure time?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

4 hours generally.

Still workable in 1, maybe 2.
Abolish Alliteration
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Also, you need to mix it completely. I think they suggest two minutes. Kneed it, blend it, smoosh it, squish it, repeat.

If it doesn't set up for you, scrape it off and mix up another small batch really, really good this time and I'll bet you see the miracle that is AVES!

Don't write it off just yet.

Dennis
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

[Hijack Thread]

Where do you buy your AVES? I can't seem to find it in my area?

[Un-Hijack Thread]
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Why from Starship Modeler of course.
Abolish Alliteration
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

geez, I didn't even think of looking here...

Im off to see
thanks

[Update]
Ok, they have Sculpt and Paste, I read the difference, but which is best for filing model seams and stuff?

thanks
woozle

Post by woozle »

I've found that if you don't get a good 50/50 mix, it won't cure completely. I've never checked it in less time then the next day.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I've let it cure. It's nice and hard and I've repeated the results on more seams. Not it's just hard to sand and it flakes off like dried candle wax and it gums up the sandpaper.
woozle

Post by woozle »

Personally, for seam filling, I prefer Squadron Green putty. The solvent makes the green putty bind much better and it also cures rock hard.
Here's an example of using both together, from my WILD WOOZLE fighter
http://home.comcast.net/~thewoozle/models/f309_05.jpg
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Black CA. No flakes, no shrinkage, no problem.

Aves I used for big seams, usually backed up by black CA.

Never had much of a gumming issue but that's jest me.
Abolish Alliteration
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Great.:roll: Y'all raved about Aves and now you're suggesting the stuff I was already using!

Make up my mind already!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Indeed I use Aves all over the place.

Guess I have a lotta big seams. My StagBeetle have about half a tub of Aves in it. Made the grips for my Phaser Type C Mk XI with it (and filleted the joints). Even figured out a way to fill panel lines.
Abolish Alliteration
Species5618

Post by Species5618 »

I got to give this stuff a try.

I've only read good things about it. Mostly form Kylwell :D
"Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." — John Wayne
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Oh great, another thing that gets blamed on me.
Abolish Alliteration
Species5618

Post by Species5618 »

kylwell wrote:Oh great, another thing that gets blamed on me.
Ha Ha

I promise I will not blame you if I have any problems with AVES.

I will follow the directions.

Alot of things can affect your results with a product impatience, humidity, room temperature, oily hands. Me thinks the fist one is a common problem. And not reading the directions.

I have read more good things about it than bad.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yeah I learned not to eat a salami sandwich and prep models for paint.

Paint will not stick to salami oil.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Babaganoosh wrote:Great.:roll: Y'all raved about Aves and now you're suggesting the stuff I was already using!

Make up my mind already!
No, no Aves is one of the best fillers and when mixecd porperly it has a great deal of adhesive properties. I primarily use Aves as a filler. However, I do still use Bondo glazing putty (similar to the squadren green but a batter product IMHO) to do spot filling. I think you'll find that most of the guys that use Aves as a filler also use a spot filler as well.

Just my 2 cents,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Babaganosh,

If it's flaking on you, it's one of two things. Either it's not mixed properly or it's not mixed in correct proportions.

Here's what I do. I have tubs "A" and "B." I have two cheap butter knives with plastic handles. Each is marked for its respective tub. THEY NEVER CROSS.
Egon wrote:Don't cross the streams.
I use each knife to carefully dip out little dollips of putty from the respective tubs onto the end of each knife. This helps me keep them of uniform size. I'll even grab them, separately, and roll them into little balls if I am having trouble.

Long story short, I've experienced what you're decribing. When mixed incorrectly, or in the wrong proportions, you'll have those issues. Also, just like with other fillers, it's best to wet sand the stuff.

These words give me comfort:

"...This day, I say unto thee. With Aves, there is symmetry and balance. The branch has the root, the night has the dark, man has wife, sex-mad babboon has the wolf, sheep have the shepherd, and the A, my brothers, the A has equal measures of the B."

~ Mixtures 23:12

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

It is very sticky, I try to mix wearing latex glvoes but it tears off the finger tips one by one. if you use something to prevent it from being so stick, so you can roll it thin lets say, you wet it with water to re activate it's stickness. Joe B, and Mark can flesh this concept out , its all from their WF classes.

BTW dont' forget, for secret SM santa a sample pack of aves in with a kit is a good idea. Folks will play more with something if they get 'stuck' with it as a gift.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Nifty! Thanks, fellas! :)
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Ganoosh,

I have used aves to fill seems, repair small chips in resin kits, and blend disimilar shapes.

It take some getting used to, but once you got it you won;t want to use anything else.

A 50/50 mix is important. Knead, mush and do waht you gotta do for a good two mintues.

I use Isoprpryl alcohol to blend and smooth the stuff onto the model. The other thick is mix up smaller batches...you can always add but you cant take away.

I sand under a stream of running water.

We'll make a beleiver out of ya.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Sparky wrote:It is very sticky, I try to mix wearing latex glvoes but it tears off the finger tips one by one. if you use something to prevent it from being so stick, so you can roll it thin lets say, you wet it with water to re activate it's stickness. Joe B, and Mark can flesh this concept out , its all from their WF classes.
I use baby poweder to keep the two components from sticking to my fingers as I mix them, and to keep the mixed material from getting too sticky while I work with it.
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

I take a piece of each part and roll them out into long thin sausage. Then twist the two sausages together. Then fold over until its a big ball, then roll out into a sauge again, twist, repeat - done.

Have never had a problem.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Baby powder works okay for that but plain old corn starch works much better. First it is a much finer grain than babypowder and if you need to reactivate the sticky properties all you need to do is brush it with a little alcohol and a fine, soft brush. This will dissolve the corn sarch however, BP will not dissolve.

Typically for seam filling I thuroughly mix the A&B parts of the putty, then let it sit ofr 15-20 minutes. the really "gooy/sticky" properties subside after that amout of time and you should still have 30-45 min of working time.

As mentioned berfore, if you mix too much (always easier to add more than to take away) you can cut off the excess and put it on a piece of tin foil in the freezer. This will impead the curing to the point that you can thaw it and use it the next day (I do this all the time when I roll out sheets of putty for covering thing and scultping clothing).

Hope this helps,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

And remember, you can remove a lot of material before it cures. As noted, use alcohol to thin the product. Water will make it sticky and may cause a lesser quality texture.

A bush with alcohol can feather the product, and your sculpting tools should be moistened with alcohol and frequently cleaned. Alcohol on a paper towell will remove messes. When you have it how you want, you can use a little water to firm up the texture and give a glassy surface - it doesn't have to look perfect, the water will be absorbed like the working with cement.

An alcohol-moistned curved blade can quickly replace any panel lines you covered. Detail scribing can be added at the 2-3 hour mark.

I don't remember the last time I used a solvent-based filler other than Gunze's Mr. Surfacer. Really, I can't remember.

Another potential reason for flaking is the surface might have been too glossy, remember you should scuff up the surface just a little bit to aid adhesion.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Just one thing to add: Everyone's talking about different solutions to use with the Aves Sculpt, but their Safety Solvent is specifically formulated for that purpose. If you're having trouble with alcohol or whatever, try their safety solvent.
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

You can accelerate the cure time by placing it under a 100 watt lamp. Just be sure to not melt the surrounding project.
Species5618

Post by Species5618 »

Has anyone read AVES F.A.Q.?

http://www.avesstudio.com/FAQ_s/faq_s.html

First question is like Babaganoosh's.

Answer - Mix for 2 min and cure for 24 hours.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

LindaSmile wrote:Just one thing to add: Everyone's talking about different solutions to use with the Aves Sculpt, but their Safety Solvent is specifically formulated for that purpose. If you're having trouble with alcohol or whatever, try their safety solvent.
See, now that why you're our den mother. Not just 'cause you're married the the big cheese but becaue you do the rational thinking for us.

Thanks! I'd never have thought of that! :D