Making master from Original

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Keptin Barnes

Making master from Original

Post by Keptin Barnes »

I am curious. When making a master of a model......Let me try this again.

I am scratchbuilding a model for myself to take to a local IPMS show in about a week from now, on Sept. 16 (so I need to be completed by Sept. 15).
The model, I think, would make a nice kit. But I don't know if there are special things I need to do to make copies of it.
For example, can I finish the model complete with paint and decals, show it off, and then make copies of it?
Or do I have to strip everything off of it before making molds?
Or do I need to make molds of it before I finish building and painting/decaling it?

I thought of making windows, but the scale is kind of small, that to make windows may be too deep. So I am using decals for myself. But, what about for a kit.
It would only be 4 pieces once molded, but what do I do with the original? Cut it up after stripping it?
I have no idea. I have never done this kind of thing before.

Or should I just scratchbuild another one especially for Mold making? (That would be a bit more difficult finding some of the same parts....)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"Now Father Jack. What do you say to a nice cup of tea?"
"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

NEW STORY PUBLISHED! Check it out. My first Novelette!. April Welles:

More of my builds:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... oductions/
REL

Post by REL »

Usually you wouldn't paint or decal a master before molding as the edges of the decals and masked painted area's will show up in the mold, and then in the eventual casting. Also, depending on what the model is you don't want to build it up and glue it together as it will make your molding process a lot harder.

Another thing you might consider is if you take your master to a model contest and it somehow gets broken or stolen then you'll have to start over from scratch. Whereas if it's a cast then you can always cast another one. So in my opinion detailing and building up a master that hasn't been molded yet isn't a good idea. At the least you could get it molded then detail the master if you don't have time to cast it, then you'll have molds to make more.
Keptin Barnes

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Thanks REL. Here is a link to what I am building and thinking of kitting.
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... hp?t=42157

However, at the moment, I have the primary and secondary hulls attached. The nacelles and pylons are not attached yet. Though I am finishing up the engines (nearly completed).

Since I have the model in 3 pieces instead of 4 would that cause a molding/casting problem?

These questions may sound stupid. If so, I apologise. I have never done something like this before. So it's all new to me. :?

I am so glad you are helping me with this. Believe it or not, there is no one around me (in my city) who is able to help me with this. Their usual response is, "I dunno. Sorry."

Thanks again.
"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

More of my builds:
REL

Post by REL »

Sweet. Are the nacelles on that ship both the same? If they are there's no need to make two of them if you're going to cast it. A ship like that is easier to cast in seperate sections than all in one piece.
REL

Post by REL »

Hey it's 1/650 scale, the same as my EE.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Hey. Good to see posts by you, Cap'n.

For molding, just think how liquid resin would pour into the parts. Avoid areas where air pockets will accumulate. Keep the assemblies as flat as possible to minimize rubber use - planes are better than perpendicular.

If you're doing the resin work, think about where you'll add vent tubes, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Keptin Barnes

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Thanks Terry. Any and all help is appreciated. :)
"Feck off, Cup!!"

More of my builds: