wheel-bays on a 1/72nd MIG 29

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Slide

wheel-bays on a 1/72nd MIG 29

Post by Slide »

ok, i have 2 mig-29 kits from Zvezda models out of Russia, and before we steryotype the things look great, few parts, and dirt cheap too! fit was good, it's a shame it has raised pannel-lines, but i can hack it (when i get some money i'll have a cheapo-kit to try them new-fangled scribing tools from the store on too!), but some seams and stuff need alot of work [nosecone is the biggest problem].

They are clearly made with no thought towards an in-flight model, which of course, is what i want to do.

So i am left with a LARGE gap where the main gear come out of the engine intakes... and i don't know what should do to fill it. should i chalk-it as a "zoom around the room and try new stuff on model"? or are there any sugestions on how to fill the hole from the outside only? (in my haste i assembled the fuselage of "Mig 1" before i saw just how big of a problem this was)

HELP! any suggestion is welcome!
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Stuff the opening with sprue or other scrap styrene that is a little higher than the surounding model, file it to rough shape and finish it off with the putty of your choice. As far as panel lines go, use the existing raised lines as a guide for the back of an x-acto blade to cut new recessed lines. Just a suggestion, not necessarily a good one!
Andrew
M3

Post by M3 »

Of course, another method is to use AVES putty. Make sure the two parts are mixed well. Use a flat edge (I like using either a mini-spatula, an orange-wood stick, or even a plain old popsicle stick) and some alcohol to pack it into the hole, and smooth it level with the fuselage. You can smooth it further with a Q-Tip with more alcohol, and clean off any overputtying the same way. Do this carefully, and you'll have little (if any) sanding to do.

Remember to wear protective gloves when using AVES. Some people have an allergic reaction (although I've never had a problem), and it's just easier to clean up.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
woozle

Post by woozle »

Have you considered buying a cheap 1/72nd plane with similar landing gear wells? I did a quick google search and was suprised that nothing jumped out at me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MiG-29_Fulcrum_B.jpg
http://www.pantonov.com/index.htm?http% ... 0/P0006616
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Slide

Post by Slide »

the doors on the 29 are pretty unique...

i don't have the money to order aves form the store, and nobody carries it locally (if i order it from the store... more's going in the order than just that!)

i think i'll do the stuff with sprue and putty over it method...
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
duck

Post by duck »

I have the Zvezdva Mig -31 I'm itching to build. Disappointed about the lack of paint guide for the cockpit.

As for the gaps, try the idea with scrap plastic, it works well. You can use garage sale signs for scratch to fill the gaps. Most stores have them for cheap.
Burn your dead.