Shrinkage...

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Treadhead

Shrinkage...

Post by Treadhead »

When doing resin casting, how do you avoid/minimize shrinkage?
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

I choose a resin that is rated for minimal shrinkage.

Tap Plastics Clear cast is horrible that way, and will not cure in silicone molds. When it does shrink and pulls away from the sides of a mold, the tacky surface leaves stringy strands for uncured resin across the gap.
These then fall back against the casting making an unruly mess.
I had some type one phasers that were ruined this way.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Also, avoid casting large solid parts. The more mass you cast, the more heat it creates (ruining your mold faster) and the more shrinkage you will have.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

To keep the resin from heating up too much, mix slightly less catalyst (hardener) to it. I don't have a chart or anything, but the heat "bottled up" inside a larger, thicker part will be more than enough to cure it, so why use more catalyst than needed? A little less hardener will let bigger parts cure as well as the reccomended amount. On the same token, a little bit more catalyst is reccomended for teeny tiny parts, because they lose heat too fast. Mind you, I'm talking 10-20% less for BIG parts (of about 2 pounds – I cast this – the 2nd place :( solid with some 20% less than the instructions for the resin – its intended use is in fiberglass, so it's thin layers) and some 30-40% more for tiny parts (a 1/72 pilot, for example).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Chacal wrote:To keep the resin from heating up too much, mix slightly less catalyst (hardener) to it. I don't have a chart or anything, but the heat "bottled up" inside a larger, thicker part will be more than enough to cure it, so why use more catalyst than needed? A little less hardener will let bigger parts cure as well as the reccomended amount. On the same token, a little bit more catalyst is reccomended for teeny tiny parts, because they lose heat too fast. Mind you, I'm talking 10-20% less for BIG parts (of about 2 pounds – I cast this – the 2nd place :( solid with some 20% less than the instructions for the resin – its intended use is in fiberglass, so it's thin layers) and some 30-40% more for tiny parts (a 1/72 pilot, for example).
That's quite a nice job you did :) I wish my stuff would come out as nice. Tell me, when using the 50/50 PartA and PartB resins, is Part B typically the catalyst? I'm thinking that it is, but not sure...
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Darkov

Post by Darkov »

"But the Pool was Cold......." :D

Sorry Couldn't resist
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

If you mix less than the recomended catalyst with polyurethane resins, any
resin that remains uncured is likely to weep out of the casting at its first exposure to heat. Sunlight, luxo lamp, hot water...

With Polyester resins, you can reduce the catylist, I woudn't recommend it with polyurethane mixes.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Darkov wrote:"But the Pool was Cold......." :D

Sorry Couldn't resist
Is that you, Costanza?

modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

When dimentions are really critical....using slow cure urethane helps.
What really helps is using platinum cure silicones which tend to have minimal shrinkage.

As for polyester resins ( the standard fberglassing resin ) they shrink a TON!

Just a few cents worth for ya'

Modelnutz 8)