Set Construction

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

stegoman05

Set Construction

Post by stegoman05 »

I was wondering if anyone know what materials they use to build the sets in star trek. Like the bridge and stuff. I know it might be expensive. Just mostly wondering. The reason i was asking was because i am thinking of building a set for a possible fanfilm. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

2x4s and plywood. Nothing exotic. Some fabric covered panels (standard decorator fair), a little shinny back-lit plexi, well placed lighting and you have a spaceship bridge. Or brig. Or hallway. Or crew quarters. Or engine room. Or...
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
stegoman05

Post by stegoman05 »

I thought of just using wood, but i wouldnt be able to the round or curve look on certain things. Everything would be just boxy looking.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Round isn't all that hard. You just have to do a little more thinking about it. There is a board (can't remember the exact name), but it's something like Counterboard. It's an engineered wood, and about 1/8" thick. It goes around simple curves VERY well. Plywood, and drywall can be bent (curved) as well, but it takes more time, effort and care. You just need to notch the hell out of the backside of the area to be bent.
John Fleming
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

I think you can buy thin door skin type stuff at Home Depot that bends pretty easily. Not sure how thick it is.
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

Couldn't you just frame in the set with 2x4's then us 4x8 sheets of plastic sheet? Plastic sheet is not much more than plywood.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Actually, that's a very good idea. In fact, plastic sheet (48" x 96") is CHEAPER than plywood. 040 plastic is about $20, while 1/2" plywood is more like $45.
John Fleming
stegoman05

Post by stegoman05 »

where do you think i can buy these plastic sheets? Also thanks for the help guys.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Grab your yellow pages, and look up plastic. :) There should be a listing for something like "Plastic - Sheet, rod, tube". If you do not have a local dealer, there should be a listing for one close enough that will ship to you. 040 can be rolled, making shipping easier, and cheaper.
John Fleming
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

as a backup, interstateplastics.com sells styrene sheets, both in full 4x8 and smaller sizes too. a local supplier would be a better bet though.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Plastic sheet would also get you the added bonus of being able to vacuform topagraphical features into your set panels. That right there opens up a whole new world of design possibilties.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

And, after shooting is done, and you tare the set down, you have tons of scratch building supplies. It pays to recycle. :D
John Fleming
Keptin Barnes

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Or if you want to/need to rearrange some of the walls to make different room configurations, they will be light enough to move without injuring yourself (or your friends. You know what I mean. :D )
"Now Father Jack. What do you say to a nice cup of tea?"
"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

NEW STORY PUBLISHED! Check it out. My first Novelette!. April Welles:

More of my builds:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... oductions/
minieffects

Post by minieffects »

Well having built sets for years I can say we use what ever works. As far as the standard, 1x3 and luon door skin is the average. 2x4 and ply is used but only for sets that require heavy loads. Most set walls need to be light weight since we are constantly moving them around. For more sci fi looking sets we use mdf (multi density fiber). It comes in 1/4" up to 1" and can be routered cut, milled etc. You can buy allmost anywhere. For example allmost all of the interior sets on Alien Ressurection were mdf sheets with routered details.

For more custom shapes we carve the compound curve stuff out of foam and either hard coat it or have the staff shop fiberglass mold it and make copies. Vacuforming is the other method used alot.

Hope this helps
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

On Forgotten Stars, our budget consisted of the money in our accounts minus our bills, so it was VERY small. I had the task of creating walls at a low cost, but believable. Out flats were framed with 1X2's which are VERY inexpensive and skinned with luan. I had to create catacomb walls and wood planked walls. I acheived this with 4X8 foam sheets over he luan, a dremel and acetone in spots.

Stone walls, pre-painting:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/s_ ... ure085.jpg

Wood walls, first base coat:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/s_ ... ure177.jpg

For the wood walls, they wanted a sign for the television program the main characters were on. Again foam over wood construction:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/s_ ... ure175.jpg

Keep in mind these were for decor only. If you need a functional wall, it should be built from sturdier materials. For a 3-D haunt maze, our flats were 1/2" BC ply on a 2X4 frame. VERY heavy, but it would stop a scared to death, running at top speed, 300 pound man. Oh, and from that haunt, another 1X2 foamed over prop. Cost, approximately $50:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/s_ ... ure103.jpg

You are only limited by your imagination. And NEVER be told it can't be done!

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason