Source for molding & casting?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

figurator

Source for molding & casting?

Post by figurator »

Can anyone refer me to a good source for molding and resin products? Im planning on producing my own resin products at some point and would like to begin experimenting with resin casting. whats good for experimenting and whats good for the actual products?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Depends?

Where in the world are you?

If you are in the UK I would tend to suggest Alex Tirantis - although there are a number of others.

Couldn't begin to suggest any in the US though.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

www.smooth-on.com is essentially the standard. Their resin and rubber are sold by many distributors. They have trial packs. Also, do some reading here in the resin and casting threads. There's a limit to what you can do without pressure and vacuum equipment, but you can do some good work if you're careful.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
figurator

Post by figurator »

Thanks for the info guys. I did forget to mention Im in the US..I'll check out the smooth on. Thanks
REL

Post by REL »

Moldmax 30 is what I use, it's a 10:1 ratio mix. It replicates the tiniest detail, check their site for local distributors.