Thinning my Blessed Aves...

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Thinning my Blessed Aves...

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wise and Sagely Starship Modelers,

After praying long and hard to Aves, I have a solution to my dilemna. Basically, I have a wing root joint I need to fill. The problem is the joint runs between an oil cooler and the wing root. I can't sand it, and I don't want to use Bondo and nail polish remover as they tend to attack Tamiya plastic.

I think it was Ter who mentioned a way to thin Aves to the point it can be used for canopy filler without the need for sanding. Such thinning would work well here. I think the thinner was denatured alcohol, but I can't remember. I want to be able to apply this in such a way it does not need sanding in this uber confined area.

Any help on the thinner and method would be appreciated.

May your benches overflow with Aves and styrene. [-o<

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

I'm gonna warn the Aves sales reps about you so they'll be prepared at WF for the guy showing up in the robes bowing to them. :wink:
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
woozle

Post by woozle »

I have yet to have much real success thinning Aves, but I've found that if I make a fairly small ball of aves and roll it out, then work it with warm water with just a drop of dish soap, it can press into the space in question is quiet soft and pliable, then just wipe the watered excess away. It's also more pliable when warm, so use warm water.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

When I use Aves to fill gaps like you describe, I just pack a small, unthinned, amount (just enough to fill the hole) into the area with a dental tool. I let it set up a little then go back over the joint with the tool after dipping it in isopropyl alcohol. I may have to do this a couple times but I've been pretty successful without having to resort to sanding of any kind. I also use the alcohol to extend the working time a little but I have never actually thinned Aves with the stuff.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Pat's got a good solution there. Work the putty into the joint, and then use alcohol to remove excess. Then a paper towel rolled into a thin cord with alcohol, and follow with a bit of water. The water can help expand the putty, so there's no gap.

ALTERNATELY:

When dealing with wing roots, I typically use Gunze's Mr. Surfacer. Paint it in, then let it cure, then use Isopropyl alcohol to remove excess. You can leave the entire area painted with Gunze as long as the edges are feathered smooth. Huzzah!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

The methods you describe are indeed powerful. I shall go in peace and meditate upon them.

I really appreciate the tips. :) I think they're going to work nicely for the pickle I'm in.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
woozle

Post by woozle »

What an odd zombie.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

He's a Daywalker, you've got to expect odd.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati