harborfreight venturi pump for vacuming rubber

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

marvin

harborfreight venturi pump for vacuming rubber

Post by marvin »

For you guys that are 'in the know',

I'm just about to get a good sized pressure pot and was looking at getting a vacuum system going as well. I've heard people saying that an actual vacuum pump is very expensive, but I don't understand why I couldn't just use the el cheapo venturi pump from harborfreight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92475

Does anyone know? Thanks !

- Marvin -
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Venturi pumps are the way to go. You don't have the expense of a dedicated vacuum pump, but all the benefits. Just hook up your compressor airline and away you go!

I've heard others say that the Harbor Freight pump is good. I have no experience with it myself.

Dennis
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

I have one of those. I've not used it for rubber yet, but I did a dry run with it hooked up between by hardware compressor and a paint pressure can just to see what it could muster. I got it up to around 24 HG or so, which from what I've read is comfortably within the range for vacuming rubber. Only downside is it can take longer, though not too much longer IMHO, depending on your compressor setup. I'd say go for it.
marvin

Post by marvin »

Thanks guys.... I'll see what it'll cost me to get one of these things sent to the Netherlands.

I just read on the harbor freigth site they only use Fedex for Int. shipping.... that's $70 shipping for a $16 item.... :?

- Marvin -
JimPV

Post by JimPV »

DennisH wrote:Venturi pumps are the way to go. You don't have the expense of a dedicated vacuum pump, but all the benefits. Just hook up your compressor airline and away you go!
Yeah, I have a venturi pump, too (though not this one) and it works terrific.

Just be sure the container you're de-airing your rubber in is large enough to allow for the expansion of the rubber; 'cause it will expand...! :shock:
"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone"
-Coco Chanel
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

marvin wrote:Thanks guys.... I'll see what it'll cost me to get one of these things sent to the Netherlands.

I just read on the harbor freigth site they only use Fedex for Int. shipping.... that's $70 shipping for a $16 item.... :?
According to to the packadging, they're intended for force-evaporating moisture out of air conditioning systems. Check your local listings for air conditioning repair services, and see if they can point you to a more local supplier.

It doesn't have to be the Harbour Frieght model specificly, just ask around local tool, appliance repair, & industrial supply places for an in-line venturi vacuum pump. It's such a simple piece of hardware, I can't imagine there's none to be found locally (or relatively so).