Best way to cut plexiglass

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Best way to cut plexiglass

Post by Lonewolf »

What's the best way to cut plexiglass? I bought an 18x20 sheet last night, with a thickness of 1/8 inch, and I need to trim it to 14x16. This is plexiglass sheet, and not impact acrylic.

The edges don't have to be perfect because I have to mount it flush with a vertical edge, and am already expecting to have to do some filling of gaps.

I have a circular saw, Dremel, and razor knives at my disposal. I also have a hacksaw somewhere in the dusty innards of my shed. I thought about scoring it with a razor knife, and then "snapping" it the same way I cut styrene.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all might be able to give me! :D
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Loachnut

Post by Loachnut »

You should be able to use your circular saw. I would put a fine tooth plywood blade in though.

Jody
REL

Post by REL »

A band saw or table saw is the best, scoring it and snapping it won't work though. But in a pinch the circular saw will work, and like Loachnut said use the finest blade you can find.

Try to cut it as fast as you can because it'll melt if you leave the blade in one spot too long.
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

A hand-held circular saw??? Yikes.

Score deeply and snap that bad-boy.

Dennis
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

If it is a straight edge I vote with the score and snap method.
But score deeply and snap it over a sharp edge or place the score over a large dowel e.g. broom handle and press gently, work your way along the "break".
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
REL

Post by REL »

D'oh! I just saw that it's a straight cut you're trying to do. Score and snap, forget the circular saw.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

The circular saw can work, just turn the blade backwards. Not the best cut, but its fast and it shouldn't splinter. Make sure the cut area is supported.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

For plexi, the best scribe'n'pop technique is to scribe deep (it's 1/8", so go down at least 1/32" or better 3/64") on the "up" side (the one you'll bend AWAY) and shallower on the other side, so the crack you create will end on the right place (sometimes plexi will crack sideways on the scored line and will make a squiggly "bevel").
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If you can clamp the piece to your workbench with a wood slat you will find the snap method a lot easier. Just clamp it pretty close to the score line.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
haywire

Post by haywire »

I used the circular saw add on for my dremel. Worked great when making my rice fields for wargaming.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Thanks for all the replies! :D

I think I'm going to go with the snap method. I'll score it with a hobby knife first, then go back with a razor knife for a deeper cut. I'm going to be fitting this into a base, and I know I'll have a little trimming to do as I go. My plan is to score and cut one side first, check for fit, and then do the other side. As long as I'm within about 1/10 inch, I'll be ok. I already know I'll have a little filling to do around the edges, so I'm not really worried about that aspect of it.

Thanks again!
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
ModlrMike

Post by ModlrMike »

I just watched a couple of guys cut a bunch of plexi into windows. They used an angle grinder with a cut off blade in it. I would suggest that a cut off blade in your dremel would work just as well.

Draw your line and then make several passes until you are through the material. You will have lots of debris, but you should have nice smooth edges because the blade will melt the plastic as it cuts. :wink:
Regards...
Michael