Sheet styrene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

roadrunner

Sheet styrene

Post by roadrunner »

How hard is it to work with?Say for example I wanted to make a drydock.What would you recommend?
Primetime21

Post by Primetime21 »

What scale are you working in? You need to use a thickness that looks right for what your doing. It's all pretty easy to work with.
Big Miller Bro

Post by Big Miller Bro »

I find it super easy to work with.
Learn how to sculpt on my website!
http://groups.msn.com/SculptingMiniatures
John P

Post by John P »

It's usually a tad softer than kit styrene (the Evergreen stuff is, anyway). That makes it easier to cut and glue.

I find it about the same as cutting out and putting together cardboard or paper shapes like we used to do in school art class.

Here - the whole aft end of this kitbash was done with .020 sheet styrene, just cut out in the right shapes and glued together:
http://www.inpayne.com/models/coventry.html

Same with this one:
http://www.inpayne.com/models/kitbash/t ... iance.html
e of pi

Post by e of pi »

I've always liked that second ship.
Perotis

Post by Perotis »

Gratz on getting it in FSM!
"...and then I shove my ovapositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest... But I'm not an alien."

<A href="http://www.noagendashow.com/">No Agenda</A> ---- <A href="http://www.frogpants.com">Frog Pants</A>
Bar

Re: Sheet styrene

Post by Bar »

roberticus wrote:How hard is it to work with?Say for example I wanted to make a drydock.What would you recommend?
It's super easy.
I made most of the scratches in my gallery with sheet styrene.
This.
These.
These.
This.
These.
And today, i made most of these.
And speaking of Drydocks...
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
kiwikaboodle

Post by kiwikaboodle »

Bar, that drydock is looking rather nifty mate! :D
Bar

Post by Bar »

kiwikaboodle wrote:Bar, that drydock is looking rather nifty mate! :D
The little one or the big one?
Bar.
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

Buy some and give it a try. Grab some rod, angles, strips, tubes, I-beams, etc, and see what you can do with it. Once you start down the path, forever will it control your destiny!
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
Bar

Post by Bar »

Consume you, it will!
:wink:
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

Scratchbuilding used to scare the hell out of me when I first saw the term used decades ago. Nowdays I don't build even the best of kits without scratchbuilding some form of details to add.

Give it a try. You're going to make mistakes. Fine. Learn from it, and try again. Invest in good tools. A cheap, small miter box, a balsa stripper, a small square and plenty of X-acto blades are a good start. It only gets easier!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
holeyfred

Post by holeyfred »

I'm sold, but who's the best supplier of a diverse selection of styrene scratchbuilding products? :-k
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Slide

Post by Slide »

Evergreen is the best (only one i've ever used).

If you'r looking for an actual outlet... i can't help you there... i don't even have a decent hobby shop in my city.
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
holeyfred

Post by holeyfred »

Yeah, I don't know about your town (Brandon) or province (Manitoba), but Canada sure is a fount of talent, and not just Shatner, Nimoy and Plummer. What about Forever Knight, and even better all of the great music by Devin Townshend. Oh, Canada!
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

Evergreen or Plastistruct. There are plenty of online sources to buy either.

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

Penn Jillette
holeyfred

Post by holeyfred »

Excellent.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

While I prefer Evergreen you get a lot more Plastruct for the dosh. Evergreen cuts easier but my money goes to Plastruct. It's simply far less expensive.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Slide

Post by Slide »

holeyfred wrote:Yeah, I don't know about your town (Brandon) or province (Manitoba), but Canada sure is a fount of talent, and not just Shatner, Nimoy and Plummer. What about Forever Knight, and even better all of the great music by Devin Townshend. Oh, Canada!
Actually Mr. Small (Small Artworks) is in Brandon... odly enough i've never met him though...
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
vaughnwolf

Post by vaughnwolf »

holeyfred wrote:I'm sold, but who's the best supplier of a diverse selection of styrene scratchbuilding products? :-k
Whatever you do don't run to Evergreen first... check out your local industrial park. Most of 'em have a plastics supply outfit. I get mine in 4 x 8 foot sheets for about $35.00 CDN..... but then, I do tend to build big :roll:

Vaughn
http://msfm.seryan.com/vaughn_m.htm
Everything old, is new again....and the road goes ever on and on......
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Go to the main site and check out the "Scribe and POP" method of scratchbuilding. Also the photo article on building your own micro-set for photo work.

Evergreen has a great selection of shapes, rods, U-channel, I beam, etc. for detail bits.

Your local plastics supplier (Try "Plastics supplier - rod and sheet") will have the best prices for sheet stock. Ask if they have any "drop stock" meaning bits and pieces left over from custom cutting or fabricating. The prices of drop stock can be really cheap for what you get. Just make sure it's styrene - I got some PVC once that was.... difficult to work with. To put it mildly.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

And I would suggest starting small. Build small things, begin with simple shapes, like cubes or boxes. The most important thing to know when working with sheet styrene (at least for me it was) is to cut it and assemble it precisely. Make a cube. Measure it all around. Do all the sides have the same size? Are all the angles square? Did you use the best method for gluing – bang it, see if it breaks easy. When you're happy with yourself, go on to other, more complex shapes.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Bar

Post by Bar »

Chacal wrote:And I would suggest starting small.
Like this stuff?(Biggest one is 5cm, and the smallest is 2mm) :wink:
Bar.
Colin

Post by Colin »

And remember the cardinal rule: Measure twice, cut once
Scale Modellers do it with precision
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

evergreen is what i've been using ,though i've got some bakcup plastrut here in case i run out and cant get to a store. its all very good stuff to work with. i've pretty much decided to stop buying kits almost entirely, except for really exceptional ones like coby's galactica.

...and i REALLY need to see about getting me some industrial sheet. anyone know of any places online t order and have it mailed, like, in a rolled up tube?
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Bar

Post by Bar »

Arklan wrote:anyone know of any places online t order and have it mailed, like, in a rolled up tube?
Only really thin stock(5, 10, 15 thou) will be able to be rolled i think(I could be wrong on this), and it would curve the sheet to do so.
Better to find a wholesalers locally, and get it from them by picking it up in your car(If there's no wholesaler, find a local vac-forming company and ask if they will add the amount you need to one of their orders. Usually they will be only too happy to do so, and it will be as cheap as all hell!).
Bar.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I picked up several 4'x8' sheets for around 15.00 each. the supplier even cut them into 2'x4' sheets for free.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

i would go for a local sullpier... but i dont <i>have</i> a car... hmm. well, i got friends. we shall see. ...no garage either... would have to cut it to 2x2 sections asap or somesuch... hmm. blah.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Arklan wrote:...and i REALLY need to see about getting me some industrial sheet. anyone know of any places online t order and have it mailed, like, in a rolled up tube?
Professional Plastics
This is where I get mine. I don't know how their shipping works though, you'll have to contact them to find out.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

will do. thanks.