Hi I'm new to the site any good ideas for kitbash kits

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Scrimber

Hi I'm new to the site any good ideas for kitbash kits

Post by Scrimber »

Well the thing is my knowledge of military kits is not to good to start with .So Iam looking for advice as to what would be a good kit to scavenge parts from .I have a fair selection of SCFI and Real space but feel I am missing something .I have not really seen a military kit that I would like or to start off with :?: .So advice would be good scale not a issue just a good scavenge to start off with :idea: .

Thanks
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

WHat do you have in mind?
You can get plenty of armor kits cheap - the older ones for which there is a new version - like ERTL's LAV, now that Trumpeter is releasing a new one. Modify the hull and cover the wheels with armored hubs and you've got a SF APC...

REally, check the sale rack and just buy for bits. ARmor and Formula-1 or INdy cars are great for bits.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Scrimber

Post by Scrimber »

Well my current project at the momnet is a space tug I am looking for bits to beef it up.I am planing two 1 civillian and 1 military just something that will beef up the military 1 if i get enough parts I might make 2 military.The scale will be 1:72nd oh and if you know of any 1:72nd personnel carriers two convert in to shuttles .I have not had a really good look at the web for this but if you have afew sites or what I need I will be glad to have a look .

Thanks
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If you go to www.squadron.com and search for 1/72 armor, you'll find some. Also, don't forget about Roco kits. They're HO Scale (1/87) but have a lot of detail for that scale, and a wide variety of offerings.

http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/HO- ... 625_1.html

Terry Miesle
woozle

Post by woozle »

My rule of thumb, is usully, the number of parts in a kit. i also scrounge half-build model kits at goodwill for a buck. A lot of us here are also waiting for the new starwars Droid Tank to drop in price (it's a dorky subject) for kitbashing fodder.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

My all-time favorite is the old Revell V-2 kit- lots of parts that are hard to recognize in a different context. I've also picked up some super cheap Gundam models. At first I really didn't know what to do with them, since I was so used to looking at tank and aircraft parts, but they are chock full of useable stuff. One monster bargain is a master grade Kampfer from toys-r-us for $9.98US (they spell it kemper). There's a thread on it at:
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... highlight=
Tank kits are a classic source- I found some Trumpeter 1/35 Chinese tanks for under $10.00. And don't forget toy parts and stuff you find on the street.
Andrew
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

There are lots of nice bits in the ERTL Speeder Bike kit, tubes, lines, etc. Also a nice kit for small bits is a 1/72 Churchill tank(can't remember manufacturer). I find a lot of nice detail pieces in the local model train shop.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Scrimber

Post by Scrimber »

Thanks to all for the help have checked out the sites and have gotten a few interesting ideas.Now to think of a good cargo and colour and to have landed or in flight.If your interested the basic hull of the ship will be a Ferrero sweet box of which I have five .So the options are quite good and you can see my interest in having a few parts to choose from.Some of the parts I have are Airfix Lunar Landers which I got to bulid a Moon Zero Two Lander Hammers only space film . The Mir space stations Revel got them cheap and some marker pen ends for the engins might yet be Airfix Saturn 5 just for the detail.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Yes, cheap Gundam kits are a wealth of parts - little thruster nozzles, torsos and legs which make good ship parts etc. Very good tip, there.

Terry Miesle
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Another excellent source for non kit fodder are ink pens. They make great cannons/cylinders/engines or whatever you can make out of them. Razor cartridges, ping pong balls, old cordless fones and the like are excellent sources of parats and fuselages too.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

For finishing touches on your projects - try Rail Road Decals. Specifically, stencil decals in multicolors, and Chicago & NW RR for yellow & black 'bumblebee stripes'. Also check out N-gauge detail sets. The Rail Road section of you LHS can be a nice source of odd parts.
Scrimber

Post by Scrimber »

Hi thanks to all above I have got would you believe pen ends for the engins I have now found the perfect match.I will keep the pen ideas in mind for a forward cannon for the military version.The Bumble Bee stripes are a great idea it never crossed my mind thank you.Now that makes me think of the Betty but I won't go there but I might match the colours.Now to find some armored personel carriers I have been to the sites and local model stores and no joy have they simply gone.Revell Hasagawa Fujumi and the rest no joy Evilbay as some one but it .But no luck the thing is I will know what I need when I see it and in the long distant past I had just the one I needed but it got swallowed up in another build and was lost in time.As to what make it was I just picked it up because it looked good.I don't know if this helps but it had detail inside for the personel section long shot I know but I'm sure if anbody would know I will find out here.Important it has to be 1:72nd scale .
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

For a lot of things, scale is relative.

For instance, a 1/35th scale 55 gallon drum is also a 30 gallon drum in 1/24th scale. Boxes and crates usually have no clues as to how big they 'actually' are. Railroad shipping containers can be any of several scales, depending on how they're used.

A ROCO HO scale APC can be mentally 'redefined' into 1/72nd by putting a 1/72nd scale trooper next to it. Yeah, it looks a bit smaller than 'original' but.... Maybe it's a 1/72nd model of a different type of APC that just happens to look like the other one. Oh, and add some engreeblement so it isn't exactly the same.

Have you tried the Revell Germany 1/72nd model Fuchs (Fox)? Nice and Sci-Fi looking. Change the wheels to rocket nozzels and you have something that looks like an armored Moonbus from 2001.