star trek the original series rock formations

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

star trek the original series rock formations

Post by SJM »

Hi,

Ive been using textured paint to make up rocks and things, and im interested in making some original series style rock formations.

But one thing i need to know is how they made them, was it plaster, paper mache, or somthing else.

I would like !any! info on this stuff, cheers.
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Most of them, especially the cliffs/caves, looked like they were draped canvas covered with some kind of texturing. Maybe a papier mache', but using strips of paper, and then some of that spray texture stuff for walls. You can get a can of that at most hardware or home stores.

Then paint it like a rock, and maybe add some clear glitter spray. They often seemed to have some glitter to them, like they were supposed to be mineral crystals or something.

Kev
kallen-bortas

Post by kallen-bortas »

On Monster House, they have used a spray foam, shaped, and covered w/ a hardener, then painted to simulatee rock. They actually showed the product's name one time and dummy me forgot to write it down.

I would think you could use that Great Foam to make rocks and get a foam hardener to make it harder, then paint it. I know Home Depot sells a foam hardener type thing,(I part time there, and I remeber seeing a box somebody left in my dept.)

After you sparay it and it dries, you can "cut, trim, and shape" fairly easy w/ a knife or something.
Funnybunny

from the Star Trek Sketchbook

Post by Funnybunny »

from what I read in the Star Trek Sketchbook, the TOS "exterior" sets were made of a wooden framework with heavy grade tin foil stapled over it, then sprayed with texture and paint.
Join Starfleet; Explode Strange New Worlds.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

What scale are you talking about? 1/1, 1/32, 1/12?

It might make a big difference in what to use...
________
Joe Brown