What is a "pin vise"?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

What is a "pin vise"?

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

I've heard this term several times and I assume it's some kind of very useful tool, but so far I've been able to glean nothing as to what it really IS. Sooo....what IS a pin vise? What is it useful for? How much are they?

Thanks!

Chris

P.S. It suddenly occurred to me this may need to go in "Construction". Sorry mods, you can move it if necessary.
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

A pin vise is bassically grip that holds small drill bits (0.1mm~3.5mm).
They are vary handy for drilling small holes and similar.

One word of advise make sure that yours comes with a swivel end otherwise it is blister time. Price ranges vary depending on maker and where you buy them.
Most good H/W or Model stores should carry them.

They look like this:
http://www.hlj.com/images/tam/tam74050.gif

HTH.
Last edited by Zen-Builder on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haywire

Post by haywire »

Take a small screw driver and instead of a philips or flat head, its a drill bit. Usually a very small diameter drill bit.

It has a "vice" at the end so you can swap out the drill bits.
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

I have several. My favorite one has a wooden ball end that rests in the palm of my hand. Much more comfortable than most. I've never used one to hold pins though...
TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Ahhhh......so when I take the blade out of my X-acto knife and insert a small drill bit (the two-slot knife handle, with the slots making an X ) and tighten it down, I'm basically making a poor-man's pin vise, then, no?

I think my next modeling purchase will be a tool binge.

Thanks, guys,

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Kind of. But if the jaws that hold the blade in are hollow rather than solid, I think your drill bit will not be secure enough to be useful, the thinner ones are quite fragile and any uneveness in pressure will shear the bit. Most pin vises go for under $10.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

dirkpitt77 wrote:Ahhhh......so when I take the blade out of my X-acto knife and insert a small drill bit (the two-slot knife handle, with the slots making an X ) and tighten it down, I'm basically making a poor-man's pin vise, then, no?

I think my next modeling purchase will be a tool binge.

Thanks, guys,

Chris
You can never go wrong buying tools. Sure you can buy kits and stick them together but with with tools you can make models. :D :wink: :P
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
John P

Post by John P »

Go here:
http://www.micromark.com/

Put "pin vise" in the search box. You'll get a nice variety of choices like these:

http://www.micromark.com/prodimgs/21105.jpg

:)
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Blappy wrote:
dirkpitt77 wrote: You can never go wrong buying tools. Sure you can buy kits and stick them together but with with tools you can make models. :D :wink: :P

You aint lyin', I'm just about on a first name basis with the manager of Harbor Freight. Great deals on clamps right now, 90 degree corner clamps for 1.49, I got a couple of 36" bar clamps for 5.50 apiece.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I picked one up about two years ago, and it never leaves my workbench. I use it all the time.

Mine has the swivel end (no blisters!), and has an interchangable holder inside. I simply unscrew the end, pull out the little plastic flanged piece, and choose which end I want to use. It has the capacity for smaller and larger drill bits. Plus, if I use the larger end, I can use it as a handle for the needle file set I got last year at WF. It makes filiing down round areas a lot easier. For weapons mounts or enlarging holes for mounting pins, simply drill out the hole, then switch to a round file to clean things up.

Very useful tool, and an extremely wise investment.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I have 8 or ten of them because I also use them to hold pieces as I paint them. This is really helpful when working on resin kits as you need to pin things anyway. I use the bras pin rod in the pin vise and hold it with the tool to paint.

A good pin vise will come with two chucks that have differing sizes at each end. Most of mine go from Flush (used fro tiny bits) to up to 3/ 16".
Last edited by Mark Yungblut on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Mark Yungblut wrote:I have 8 or ten of them cause I aslo use them to hold peces as I paint them. This is really helpfull when working on resin kits as you need to pin things anyway. I use the bras pin rod in the pin vise and hold it with the tool to paint.

A good pin vise will come with two chucks that have differing sizes at each end. Most of mine go from Flush (used fro tiny bits) to up to 3?16".
Let the confusion unsue! :)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Blappy wrote:
Mark Yungblut wrote:I have 8 or ten of them cause I aslo use them to hold peces as I paint them. This is really helpfull when working on resin kits as you need to pin things anyway. I use the bras pin rod in the pin vise and hold it with the tool to paint.

A good pin vise will come with two chucks that have differing sizes at each end. Most of mine go from Flush (used fro tiny bits) to up to 3?16".
Let the confusion unsue! :)
Not trying to confuse anyone...

Moslty used for drilling by had with tiny drill bits (like down to a #64) I was just pointing out other uses for this tool. ;-P
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Bar

Post by Bar »

I don't know if it's any help, but i found this on Ebay.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Bar wrote:I don't know if it's any help, but i found this on Ebay.
Bar.
That looks exactly like the one that I have at home. :D
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

THis one belongs in construction.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Bar

Post by Bar »

Lonewolf wrote:That looks exactly like the one that I have at home. :D
Yes, me too, but it seemed a fairly reasonable price for it.
:D
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com