Rubber for molds

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Ziz

Post by Ziz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:20 pm

homyakchik wrote:I really can't afford Alumilite prices for the stuff (the Smooth-On stuff certainly seems a better bargain), but the only dealer for the SO is down in Norfolk, and I'm betting they're not open on Saturday. Dangnation and blastoderms, anyway. Another week to wait for a UPS delivery.
www.reynoldsam.com

Reynolds Advanced Materials. I get my stuff in a couple of days, shipping is cheaper than direct from SO AND Reynolds doesn't charge me sales tax, SO does.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

homyakchik

Post by homyakchik » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks, Ziz. I went there to look. Interestingly enough, although their website appears to be wholly different from Smooth-On, both have the same base setup for their buttons, and right now both are having exactly the same DB access errors in serving up information on the rubbers they sell! *bwah-hah-hah*

Still, I shall check them out as soon as they're back on-line. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dj (still frustrated, but now a little less so)

saiyagohan

Post by saiyagohan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:31 am

I have a question, is there any way to make a mold without pressure casting? That will turn out without bubbles or defect to the mold or to what your trying to make? That is affordable, and if so what kind of product is it? I'm sure this question has been asked before. But I've got a 1/1000 scale Jupiter Station Klingon D-7 variation kit I built that I need to redo the neck on because it warped after many years and when I used hot water and tried a blow dryer it snapped into. Any help is appreciated, thanks
What do the USS Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.

chiver

Post by chiver » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:09 pm

I got alumilite quick set, how long should I wait to remove it from the mold. Box? It's not very big only 4oz and is it important to heat the mold?
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!

homyakchik

Re: Rubber for molds

Post by homyakchik » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:24 pm

I think this might be where I could ask this question; thread owner, if it's not, feel free to dump it wherever it might be more appropriate.

I know about using the rubber to make a mold for casting resin parts; need to get back to doing that. But I had a thought the other day, while working on an older Zoid.

Zoids were in general held together by 'Gyro Caps,' little caps of what honestly feels like the rubber we make molds of; you push them onto the axles of the joints (in the main) and they keep the arms and legs (and necks and heads and tails) from rattling apart as the Zoid moves. Each Zoid came with a sprue or two (or three) of Gyro Caps sized for it; there were three or four different sizes, usually interchangeable to a small degree between some Zoids and others.

I have one project that I'd like to work on, a Zoid Centaur (combining a Gojulas and an Ultrasaur, possibly with other parts tacked on to make it even more fearsome), that are going to require an influx of Gyro Caps from somewhere as the leftover Gojulas I have hasn't any of his original Gyro Caps. Argh. And they aren't making those Zoids any more and my sources for trading classic Zoids have all dried up and I don't want to have to pay inflated 'collector' prices just for a handful of rubber pieces (assuming I can even find any on eBuy).

So the thought occurred to me: would it be possible to make a cast of a sprue of such rubber parts (my as-yet-unassembled Mad Thunder uses the right-size Gyro Caps) and then cast the parts out of more casting rubber? Slather everything in lots of Don't Stick To This Mold Release 'cause I can't afford to lose my last sprue of these things and do it?

Or is that a futile hope? IF so, is there any way to make a casting of such things, and/or to make a mold and cast such soft rubber? What might I cast the part in? If not the same rubber as the mold, then what could I cast the stuff in? Is making a cast of soft rubber even possible (at my level of hobbyisting)?

Sorry about the length. Wanted to be clear what I was after.

Many thanks!

Davey

Rocketeer

Re: Rubber for molds

Post by Rocketeer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:37 pm

That ought to be very do-able. It'd have to be a two-piece mold, because the caps have holes in their backs and detail on their fronts.

I just did a quick search, and found these:

https://www.polytek.com/product-type/po ... ng-rubbers

They say that their rubbers can be cast in either silicone (no release agent required) or polyurethane (release agent required) molds.