Mr Surfacer

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I use the alcohol on swab technique all the time - particularly in 90-degree joints and tight areas. Be prepared to go through a lot of swabs.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

So the 1000 stuff can be airbrushed if thined 50%/50% with Mr. Surfacer thinner?
Thomas E. Johnson
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:So the 1000 stuff can be airbrushed if thined 50%/50% with Mr. Surfacer thinner?
Yes. I use more like 70% thinner though.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Well, I was able to airbrush it thinned 50%/50% using my super high flow nozzle, and got pretty good results.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it more bang for the buck to thin down a bottle of this stuff and airbrush it, than to buy the rattle can stuff? It seems like you get more material to use by thinning the bottle version, than you get in one of the spray cans.
Thomas E. Johnson
dkeets

Post by dkeets »

Has anyone used Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer (bottle) and does it compare to Mr. Surfacer ???

I picked up some of this Tamiya stuff at my LHS and have been using it to fill seams and was wondering if anyone has used both and could give me a comparison.
Devin

Post by Devin »

Blappy wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:So the 1000 stuff can be airbrushed if thined 50%/50% with Mr. Surfacer thinner?
Yes. I use more like 70% thinner though.
I've found recently that if I go more than 50/50 thinner to surfacer that it goes on translucent and is a good sealer, but it isn't a very good filler. If I'm filling pin holes, etc, and want a good tooth for a coat of paint, I go 2 parts surfacer to 3 parts thinner.

-Devin
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
apsilon

Post by apsilon »

I just used Mr Surfacer 1200 in a rattle can to prime my first kit in about 20 years (FM Tie) and all I can say is WOW! I love this stuff. It goes on so well and lays down tight with no loss of detail.

Only complaint is the rattle can over whelmed the little spray booth I made up. Going to have to try air brushing once this rattle can is done.

My only question is, and I'm sorry if it's been covered and I missed it, how long should I wait until I start applying colour coats?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I'm paranoid, and usually wait a day, but I've put colors on within a few hours and not had a problem. But I'd still suggest trying to wait at least a day.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I too like the rattle cans for filling imperfections in the surfaces of my models. The 1000 goes on thick enough to fill sanding scratches but not so heavy as to fill small details.
cowie165

Post by cowie165 »

I just had my first crack at 1200 as a primer, and spiderwebbed the heck out of my model! Argh! :(

Out came an old toothbrush and cleaned the gunk off. Off to Mr Google for a little more information.

Thanks to this handy thread, I thinned it to 60/40 or so, upped the px to 25psi and away I went. Happy days, and thanks SSM for a cool thread.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Many apologies. I can't find the thread where I asked this. I have a jar of Mr. Hobby Mr. Resin Primer Surfacer. Burgundy label with gray/white text. I've looked several times. Nowhere does it way what grade/thickness it is. I went ahead and tried using it tonight to fill some hallway sized panel lines on a 1/1400 resin starship. Will it work? Will it require several fillings? Should I have just applied the Testors red putty?
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

mburkey wrote:Many apologies. I can't find the thread where I asked this. I have a jar of Mr. Hobby Mr. Resin Primer Surfacer. Burgundy label with gray/white text. I've looked several times. Nowhere does it way what grade/thickness it is. I went ahead and tried using it tonight to fill some hallway sized panel lines on a 1/1400 resin starship. Will it work? Will it require several fillings? Should I have just applied the Testors red putty?
You should have used this

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index.cf ... uct_ID=636

Apply carefully with a pointy toothpick, hit it with some accelerator and in 90 seconds you are sanding it smooth. This black stuff has a similar hardness as resins and styrene.

I no longer own any air dry putty in tubes.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Intriguing profile makes it worth a try, even though I hate superglue. I usually stick my fingers together and the parts never mate.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

mburkey wrote:Many apologies. I can't find the thread where I asked this. I have a jar of Mr. Hobby Mr. Resin Primer Surfacer. Burgundy label with gray/white text. I've looked several times. Nowhere does it way what grade/thickness it is. I went ahead and tried using it tonight to fill some hallway sized panel lines on a 1/1400 resin starship. Will it work? Will it require several fillings? Should I have just applied the Testors red putty?
It's about the same as the 1000. You can use it to fill but it'll take a number of applications. I usually prime with the resin primer and then fill with the 500.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks! Didn't get a fast reply last night, so I went ahead and toothpicked on some of it. Indeed, it took 3 applications before it stopped collapsing into the panel line. Worked great though on pinholes and other imperfections lthat the resin primer rattlecan didn't catch. I'm guessing I don't need to sand down the bumps with any grit larger than #400 or so?
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Apologies for what must be an old topic. Is there some cheaper alternative to the spray can of Mr. Resin Surfacer? It's amazing stuff, but 10 bucks for a few ounces is just outrageous. Are Duplicolor or Plasticote sandable primers the same stuff? I'd like it to preserve detail and go down as smooth as the Gunz product. And I want it in a spray can because I gum up my airbrush enough with regular paint. And it needs to be compatible with resin models. Any other alternatives?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Alternative? Yes. Replacement? No.

Mr. Resin Primer as you've noticed is amazing stuff...but it is expensive. And in my opinion, worth every penny. I've had pretty good luck with Krylon and Duplicolor for smooth areas, but where there's detail, I pull out the Mr. Surfacer products. Others report better success, but I need all the help I can get.

Things you can try to help out the cheaper products: Put the can in a pan of warm water for a few minutes. This helps to thin out the paint a bit and it flows easier. Don't put it on a stove, microwave, or anything like that.

Shake it a lot. The can. I mean the paint can. Shake it until your arm falls off, use some Aves to re-attach your arm, then shake it some more. The grains in the other primers settle, and you've gotta get them moving. And not in just and up and down motion, but every so often roll it so the ball scrapes the bottom.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

Dan
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Great. Now all I have to do is figure out which expensive, out-of-production resin kit I want to serve as the test case for Dupli or Plasti. Hmmm, could be that Lunar Models Discovery. Thanks. Assume both Dupli and Plasti are compatible with resin? You weren't explicit.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Make sure the model's clean of mold release too--Mr. Resin seems to have something in it that cuts through some mold release.

And either Duplicolor, Plastikote, etc works for Resin.

Dan
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks much. My only concern is some stated thoughts that Dupli or Plasti might hide smaller detail that perhaps the finer grain Gunze would not. In any event, I have 1 more can of Gunze, which should see me through my current project, the Stargazer Orion III.
Darkowski

Post by Darkowski »

I'm really interested in trying out the Mr Surfacer product.... but is it me or everywhere I go on the internet they are all out of stock??? :roll:
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

No idea. Tried Squadron? Tried googling it? Even my local hobby shop has 2-3 flavors on the shelf now.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Great Models has some in stock.
Abolish Alliteration
Darkowski

Post by Darkowski »

Yup, tried Squadron and they were out of stock too.

I found some at Great Models and ordered the 1200, 1000, and 500.

Thanks Kylwell! :thumbsup:
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I think it's mostly due to a change in shipping regulations - or that's what I'm told. You have to have a license to ship various hazard grades.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Whiteraven_2001

Post by Whiteraven_2001 »

I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway: anyone tried the spray on vinyl? I'm assuming, from having read to this point, it wouldn't be good.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Pull out your spare ME-109, Tiger tank, P-51 - or Kazon Torpedo - that you are never *ever* going to build straight-out-of-the-box, and hit it with the spray on vinyl.

Then, report back to us and deliver the results. I'd like to know, too! :D
________
Joe Brown
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Whiteraven_2001,

I've airbrushed Mr. Surfacer on a vinyl kit. It worked fine. If you're worried test it on the pour stubs.

Mike
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Spray on Vinyl vs Mr. Surfacer spray, on vinyl...
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Kylwell wrote:Spray on Vinyl vs Mr. Surfacer spray, on vinyl...

That's what I read it as... was I wrong again? :shock:
________
Joe Brown