melting resin - very bad for you?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Agent Orange

melting resin - very bad for you?

Post by Agent Orange »

I suppose I can guess the answer to this is "don't do it" - but do you suppose melting resin with a soldering iron gives of very bad fumes?

I tried it on a whim to make holes for LED's - works but a lot of thin white smoke pours off it as I do it.

I sometimes use an old soldering iron to make holes or carve out sections of plastic that do not allow a dremel to get in there - what with occasional brittle resin, this method seems ideal.

I guess I should get a mask and a spray booth.

Mike
"You Klingon Son, you killed my Bastard!"
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

If you're concerned and have to do it, invest in one of those face masks from the hardware store rated for smoke, fine particulates and/or chemical fumes. However much one costs is a lot cheaper than developing mesothelimoa or someother funky stuff in the future just the was cabbies say, "cab fare is always less expensive than a DUI". Besides, you'd look cool and scare off the kiddies!
Last edited by Digger1 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Re: melting resin - very bad for you?

Post by onezero »

Mike Lord wrote:I suppose I can guess the answer to this is "don't do it" - but do you suppose melting resin with a soldering iron gives of very bad fumes?
Yes.

And it doesn't melt like plastic does - so drill it if you want to make holes.

(same with plastic, actually)
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

I've been melting plastic with a hot knife for 20 years. No pro- <HACK HACK HACK sputter> -blems.

No really, I do like to use a hot knife for certain projects, but I started wearing a respirator and doing it in the spray booth. Twenty years of cigarettes - now I worry about stuff like that. :roll:

Never tried melting resin. I did recently try to melt dried Aves putty - it also does not melt like plastic. Really doesn't melt at all - it kinda just burns. Maybe char is a better term.