Will Zap Super Glue dry out?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

Will Zap Super Glue dry out?

Post by justcrash »

I ask because I have some that has had the lid on it, ctored in a cool, dry, dark place for a while now. When I go to use it, it acts like it is trying to come out, but doesn't move a whole lot. :(
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes.

CA will oxidize without any help. I've had thin CA turn thick, and Gap Filling CA turn to putty.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Given how cheap glue is I get a new bottle of Soupey glue for every project. Works far better in the long run. One scratch build took so long, sumink like 600 hours, and I ended up getting 4 bottles of glue throughout the project, but at 3 or so bucks a bottle it aint a major expense.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

I have old bottles of the stuff. One bottle is stringing and filaments flyabout--real easy to get in your eye. I wonder what got in it.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The big problem with most CA glues are the bottles which are gas permiable. Air (& moisture) get in, glue goes funky.
Abolish Alliteration
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

kylwell wrote:The big problem with most CA glues are the bottles which are gas permiable. Air (& moisture) get in, glue goes funky.
Hmmm... I wonder if placing it in an air tight freezer bag would help at all? I know glue is cheap, that isn't the issue. I am about an hour away from my LHS, so I have to go way out of my way now to get there. I do have a hobby lobby near me, but they don't carry Zap. :(
Last edited by justcrash on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Airtight freezer bags aren't. Or at least just about every plastic bag I know of is gas permiable. The freezer bag would probably reduce the amount of moisture.
Abolish Alliteration
woozle

Post by woozle »

My workbench has a shelf, in front of a window and I noticed that my Zap-a-gap started solidifying in a month... I heard that sunlight would do that, so I moved it down, to a shaded spot and the same bottle has been squishy for about a year.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

kylwell wrote:Airtight freezer bags aren't. Or at least just about every plastic bag I know of is gas permiable. The freezer bag would probably reduce the amount of moisture.
How about putting the bottle inside a glass bottle with a tight screw lid? Maybe with a packet of silica gel to curb moisture.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

:D

Well at some point it becomes moot. Glass, airtight lid, silica pack will all help but it's still a 4 dollar item. What irritates me the most is it being dry just when you need it.
Abolish Alliteration
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

I almost bought some during my last trip to my favorite hobby shop, but every bottle was as hard as a rock.
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
shrugger

Post by shrugger »

Now that sucks! Luckily my LHS sells enough that they have new stock
every couple months.
"Some people juggle Geese"
-Wash
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

I take a little peice of modeling clay and stick it on the tip of the bottle.
Will help it last alot longer then just the cap that comes with it.
haywire

Post by haywire »

Put it in your refridgerator. I'm serious.

You should do the same with any 2 part epoxy.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Not tried Zap, have used Flash, similar hobby-type super glue. You know Loc-tite Quick-tite super glue is pretty well the same, every bit as good. The thick gel is like treacle. You can get it from WalMart.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

haywire wrote:Put it in your refridgerator. I'm serious.

You should do the same with any 2 part epoxy.
You're not the first person I've heard that from and by all accounts it works. Guessing it slows the chemical reaction.
Abolish Alliteration
scanam2005

Refrigerating super glue

Post by scanam2005 »

Placing super glue in the refrigerator definitely helps. I also try to buy the smaller size bottles rather than the large ones. It is difficult to keep super glue for longer than a year even under perfect conditions.
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

Yep....I've had it dry out.....and even seem to loose it's strenght..I wonder sometimes whats the lasting power in the long term for CA's??....anyone know....I use them alot in my building...do I have to look forward to parts flying off in the future??.. :roll:
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Even if you can keep it liquid, as it ages it loses it's strength and will be brittle when it sets. It's a false economy being cheap about it.