removing wax finish???

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

artic316

removing wax finish???

Post by artic316 »

:? I was wondering what you guys use to remove the waxy coating on some types of plastic, making it easier to glue/paint.What would you use to make a soft plastic more able to glue/paint, such as a shampoo bottle?I want to get alot of my scratchbuilds going but have run into this problem.Can anyone suggest a product/method to combat this delima? :shock:
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Shampoo bottles are made out of polyethelyne or polypropelyne. Probably the former rather than the latter. Low density P.E. is very soft and sometimes slick and waxy and probably paint won't take well to it.

Krylon Fusion might adhere to it, though.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Yeah, what he said.

There is no wax coating. That's just a different type of plastic to begin with, one that's designed to be "waxy" like that because it eliminates mold releases from the product manufacturing budget.

Most paints just won't stick to 'em, ditto with most glues. That "fusion" stuff might work to give you a good primer (haven't tried myself), but gluing is always going to be iffy.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

That's just a different type of plastic to begin with, one that's designed to be "waxy" like that because it eliminates mold releases from the product manufacturing budget.

That's not why they use polyethylene and polypropylene at all. They use them because they're tough and flexible, and resistant to just about every solvent out there. This is important because of the range of chemicals packaged in such containers. They also do not outgas harmful chemicals, which is also important if the product is a food or something which is used on the skin, like shampoo or soap. They're also recyclable.

Useability as a model part is waaaaay down on the list of priorities.

There are new plastic paints available at hardware stores, designed for painting patio furniture, which is also made of similar plastics. A coating of one of these paints may provide a good primer coat and allow other paints to adhere. As for glue, the best I've come up with is good old hot-melt glue, the type which comes in sticks and is applied using a glue gun. Apply sparingly
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Owen E Oulton wrote:That's just a different type of plastic to begin with, one that's designed to be "waxy" like that because it eliminates mold releases from the product manufacturing budget.

That's not why they use polyethylene and polypropylene at all.
*shrug* Wasn't trying to shoot my mouth off or anything. It's just the explanation I was given on these same boards in the past.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Think gorilla glue would work?