Super glue de-bonder

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lo pan

Super glue de-bonder

Post by Lo pan »

I have a vinyl kit that has a few pieces already glued together. I'd like to remove them for additional clean up and re-positioning. I've never used a de-bonder and was wondering if anybody had experience with it on CA glues, specifically, if there is a negative impact on vinyl. TIA.
Lo-Pan
http://cinema-fictions.blogspot.com/
"Baah weep graahnaaah weep ninnybong!"
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Nail Varnish Remover - but I don't honestly know of its effect on vinyl.

Why not just soak the model in hot water and flex it around the joints? This has worked for me. The CA is less flexible than the vinyl and should crack away. Also, CA doesn't stand up to heat terribly well, so that should work for you.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
kovertops

Post by kovertops »

I have also heard that both those approaches yield success. Good luck!
I dreamed of a dusty place, with a broken-nosed cat and some half-buried d-8s. Shirley McClaine was pretending to be there...
Lo pan

Post by Lo pan »

I wonder if we could produce a Starship Modeler themed episode of Fear Factor.

First challenge:
Contestants have to use nail poish remover and hot water to debond the partially assembled engine housings on a $200 Nostromo kit. Will they break the part-- or break under the pressure themselves?!

Second challenge:
Contestants must apply as many inches of photo-etched railing to a 1/700 scale battleship using only a hemostat, a toothpic, and rapid flow CA glue...without smudging the glue or placing anything out of alignment. Self gluing is automatic failure!

Third challenge:
How long do you dare airbrush your nearly competed destined-for-the-Wonderfest-contest model kit in an open space...with 80% humidity AND NO MOISTURE TRAP IN THE LINE??!!!

mwah ha ha ha haaaaa!
etc. etc.
Lo-Pan
http://cinema-fictions.blogspot.com/
"Baah weep graahnaaah weep ninnybong!"