Minbari Sharlin detail problems

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Urobach81

Minbari Sharlin detail problems

Post by Urobach81 »

Hello I have a small problem with the side details of a Sharlin Warcruiser. :? I white yet as I the ribs to out work am not. There the ship a small yardstick possesses is works with a Dremel in these places very with difficulty. The firm screeding compound is too susceptible to machine work. I have of course some Ideas(one-way syringe to e.g. use around thin courses to squirt), but over other suggestions and ideas I would be pleased.

here are the pics of the sharlin
http://hometown.aol.de/alxcom81/images/ ... 0uf%20.jpg
Last edited by Urobach81 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
karim

Post by karim »

I'm sorry, I'm having some difficulty understanding the problem...

I gather that you are looking for a way to do some ribbing surface detail on the side of the ship?

Do you have a picture of what the detail is supposed to look like?
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Maybe you could make a stamp- raised areas where you want impressions. Apply some of your screeding compound, or something a little tougher like auto body putty or filler, and press the stamp or mold into it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://www.infinitystamps.com/
Potters use stamps on clay all the time- why not modelers? Just a suggestion, not necessarily a good one!
Andrew
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. However, for making good structural details like these ribs, i prefer using epoxy putty. This gives you a couple hours working time before it becomes too firm. Using tools, you can sculpt the shapes you want. Tools, if kept wetted with isopropyl alcohol will not stick to the putty.

If you are concerned about making permanent changes to the model, you can apply some tape to the model and make the epoxy putty parts on the tape. A packing tape will not stick to the epoxy putty and will allow you to pull the cured parts off the model.

Look at clay sculpting tools for the shapes you need.

I don't know if this helps, perhaps if you prepare a page with the pictures of the areas you need to work on, and pictures of the final results you'd like to acheive this would help.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Urobach81

Re: Minbari Sharlin detail problems

Post by Urobach81 »

Thanks, for the tips
Urobach81 wrote:Hello I have a small problem with the side details of a Sharlin Warcruiser. :? I white yet as I the ribs to out work am not. There the ship a small yardstick possesses is works with a Dremel in these places very with difficulty. The firm screeding compound is too susceptible to machine work. I have of course some Ideas(one-way syringe to e.g. use around thin courses to squirt), but over other suggestions and ideas I would be pleased.

here are the pics of the sharlin
http://hometown.aol.de/alxcom81/images/ ... 0uf%20.jpg
Last edited by Urobach81 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urobach81

Post by Urobach81 »

karim wrote:I'm sorry, I'm having some difficulty understanding the problem...

I gather that you are looking for a way to do some ribbing surface detail on the side of the ship?

Do you have a picture of what the detail is supposed to look like?
The picture of sharlin is to be found on my homepage http://hometown.aol.de/alxcom81/TheVortexYards.html, there sees one the missing details believes I completely well.
Last edited by Urobach81 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naoto

Post by naoto »

For some reason I misread the title as "Minbari Shaolin", and an image of a Minbari dressed as a Buddhist monk popped in my head...
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Are you working with the metal miniatures, and modifying them? If so, I think epoxy putty is your best bet - but you'll need some practice sculpting it.

Terry Miesle
Urobach81

Post by Urobach81 »

That is good, but no it concerns the battle cruiser of the Minbari, the Sharlin class :D :D :D
naoto wrote:For some reason I misread the title as "Minbari Shaolin", and an image of a Minbari dressed as a Buddhist monk popped in my head...
Urobach81

Post by Urobach81 »

No, I do not mean the metal miniatures. My model is completely made of plastics. Information about the materials on my homepage.
TER-OR wrote:Are you working with the metal miniatures, and modifying them? If so, I think epoxy putty is your best bet - but you'll need some practice sculpting it.
Last edited by Urobach81 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Ah, I see now. I must have overlooked that text while looking at the pictures.

You want to build the ribs between the raised areas on the Sharlin, correct?

I'd really consider using the epoxy putty, but applying a silicone or petroleum jelly beneath it, so you can remove the cured details. Then if you like them, you can wash everything and glue the details in place.

Terry Miesle
Urobach81

Post by Urobach81 »

I meant exact. I have the ribs - details today finished and I think it looks good. I am perfectionist and it must to some extent perfectly out marriages with me, otherwise I am not content. :D The updated picture will show soon to my homepage. Thanks for the pieces of advice. :D
TER-OR wrote:Ah, I see now. I must have overlooked that text while looking at the pictures.

You want to build the ribs between the raised areas on the Sharlin, correct?

I'd really consider using the epoxy putty, but applying a silicone or petroleum jelly beneath it, so you can remove the cured details. Then if you like them, you can wash everything and glue the details in place.