Bad Primer? Too humid?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

JTGraphics

Bad Primer? Too humid?

Post by JTGraphics »

I'm trying to finish up a kit for release at Wonderfest but I'm having trouble. The primer seems to be crap. It's as if it's permanently tacky. I even tried to remove it with Easy Off and it didn't quite do the job.

Any suggestions on the primer removal? (Duplicolor sandable primer)

I'm going to switch to Tamiya Primer. Any suggestions? The can is printed in Japanese so I have no clue what it says.
Jeffrey Waclawski
JT-Graphics
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Duplicolor is normally an excellent primer; is it possible you got a bad mix batch?

I've removed it (Duplicolor) with an overnite soak in Simple Green; that's if you aren't in a rush.

For really really fast results, acetone is hard to beat. But it has it own issues (toxicity, and it can make resin go all funny in a bad way if sealed in with the item for soaking).

However, if you've used it safely before then you should know what I mean.

Did that help any? :?:
________
Joe Brown
justcrash

Re: Bad Primer? Too humid?

Post by justcrash »

JTGraphics wrote:I'm trying to finish up a kit for release at Wonderfest but I'm having trouble. The primer seems to be crap. It's as if it's permanently tacky. I even tried to remove it with Easy Off and it didn't quite do the job.

I'm going to switch to Tamiya Primer. Any suggestions? The can is printed in Japanese so I have no clue what it says.

Thats weird JT. I've never had a problem with it (the duplicolor).

I use a big gallon jug of De-greaser. Its in a purple jug. I wanna say Prestone makes it, but I can't be sure. Anyway, leave it sit in a container of that over night, maybe 2, if you have the time.
JTGraphics

Post by JTGraphics »

The primer is acting weird so I guess it's a bad batch. It actually kind of oozes a sticky clear substance from the nozzel. I've thrown it out.
Jeffrey Waclawski
JT-Graphics
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

JTGraphics wrote:The primer is acting weird so I guess it's a bad batch. It actually kind of oozes a sticky clear substance from the nozzel. I've thrown it out.
Good idea. I've never seen it do that before. Good luck with your next batch, my friend. :)
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Great. The spray can with the 'oozies'. I had a can of Krylon grey primer like that. Spit and hacked and oooooozed.

But it was winter, and the can was cool.

I heaved the thing into a pot of hot water, then tried it again. Worked wizard!

Silly me, trying to use spray paint without warming it first. :?
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Re: Bad Primer? Too humid?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

justcrash wrote:
JTGraphics wrote:I'm trying to finish up a kit for release at Wonderfest but I'm having trouble. The primer seems to be crap. It's as if it's permanently tacky. I even tried to remove it with Easy Off and it didn't quite do the job.

Thats weird JT. I've never had a problem with it (the duplicolor).

I use a big gallon jug of De-greaser. Its in a purple jug. I wanna say Prestone makes it, but I can't be sure. Anyway, leave it sit in a container of that over night, maybe 2, if you have the time.
it's called castrol super clean, works everytime and very safe for our model parts even clear parts make sure you get the degreaser and NOT the concrete cleaner, both come in a purple jug :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

If you're using any kind of spray paint, primer, base coat final coat I always run the can under warm water for a couple minutes and have not had any trouble.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman