How hard is it to light a model?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

How hard is it to light a model?

Post by justcrash »

For someone with no experience or understanding of electrical work? Better off to avoid it?
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

Most plastics are readily flammable.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Jagdson wrote:Most plastics are readily flammable.

:shock:
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Oy... #-o

Depends on how elaborate you want to get, Crash...Here's a primer
from the main site to get you started....

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/mh_led.htm

For me the trickiest part has always been soldering. Good luck!
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Scott Hasty

Re: How hard is it to light a model?

Post by Scott Hasty »

justcrash wrote:For someone with no experience or understanding of electrical work? Better off to avoid it?
Sorry, in a word, yes.

If you ARE quick to pick stuff up and have a good understanding of Jr. High science, I suggest getting a book in electrical theory. Specifically DC and AC theory.

Otherwise a semester in a community college will probably give you the knowledge you need.

Otherwise, there are a few here that can step you though it as you learn.

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Arsenic Hipster

Post by Arsenic Hipster »

Depends really, if you just want to run some LED's off of a battery pack then its like Dr Yo said, the hardest part will probably be soldering the connections together and that isn't too hard to learn. If you just want to experiment with some circuits you can even avoid the soldering by using a breadboard ultil you decide on a design

There are plenty of web pages and tools about how to find out which resistor you need for a LED, and perhaps a trip to the local library (or even electronics store since you'll be going there for parts anyway) to find a book on basic electronics.

If you want flashing lights on something more elaborate or running off mains power for some reason then it gets trickier (and dangerous in the case of mains), as with everything start with the basics and work from there.
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

If I could add one suggestion to Hipster's sound advice-start small,
something along the lines of two or three LED's, see if its your cup
of tea.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

If you never try it, you would never learn it...

I did my very first lighted model (and the first one for 8 years) one month ago. If you want to have a look, please follow the link:

http://www.sosmatic.net/~marcal/done.html (click on the picture)

the page is under construction, but this section is already done.

I have some experience in LEDs and general electronics, don't doubt about asking.
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Marcal wrote:If you never try it, you would never learn it...

I did my very first lighted model (and the first one for 8 years) one month ago. If you want to have a look, please follow the link:

http://www.sosmatic.net/~marcal/done.html (click on the picture)

the page is under construction, but this section is already done.

I have some experience in LEDs and general electronics, don't doubt about asking.
Thank you, and VERY nice work! :)
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Crash!

Stuffing a few LEDs into a model doesn't have to be hard - depending on the model. There's a technique called 'wire wrap' that can avoid soldering entirely. (Well, almost - soldering is still handy to make sure NOTHING slithers out of position.) The installation of the LEDs is pretty much like working iwth most other resin bits - as long as you remember how/where to run the wires to the things.....

Radio Shack and Jameco have bundles of LEDs cheap. Lots of little plastic blobs that light up in many bright and interesting colors. And VERY CHEAP so when you blow one up it won't hurt the pocketbook much. (NOT in a model, just when you're fiddling around getting the feel of the process).

There's a gadget called an "Experimenters Bread board" or "Experimenters Board" that's essentially a plastic slab with lots of little holes going to a grid of connectors that's handy for trying out circuits - $5 US for a small one.

eMail me if you'd like a hand out on the subject.

Model ON!
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Crash-

My advice:

Go to Radio Shack and buy the Engineer's Notebook by Forrest M. Sims III. There's a whole series of them. They're cheep and indespensible and they'll tell you everything you need to know about electricity and electronics to do what you're aiming to do. Best of all, they're quick and easy to read.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool