Do you guys build and paint in subsections?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

Do you guys build and paint in subsections?

Post by justcrash »

Do you guys do 2-3 major sub-assemblies, glue, prime, and paint them, ebfore joining them together? Or do you build it all as one, then prine, paint, etc? and why?
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

The latter, whenever through any bizarre contortion possible. It's just less of a PITA that way, even when it is a PITA that way.

Seen too many build ups where the join between prepainted parts/subassemblies was still apparent. Even on a well built, well painted model, that one kind of flaw more than any other (for me) always seems to jump up on the table w/ arms flung wide and whoop "I'M A TOY!". My inner critic has to be dragged kicking and biting by wild arrdvarks to the conclusion that there REALLY IS NO OTHER WAY before it'll let me do it.

And even then it'll mutter vauge invectives from it's time-out corner at the kit's pattern maker.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

It's a really common question, but without a really easy answer. The best I can say is, sometimes. You just have to look at the whole building and finishing process with this in mind. What will be the best way to do (x)? Some things, like cockpits, are incredibly difficult to paint after they are buttoned into the kit, but don't cause many problems later on if you paint them first. In other cases, like wing to fuselage joints, they simply must be glued together, puttied and sanded before you can think about painting. In these cases the decision is easy, but model building is full of much harder decisions. There are lots of places where putting something together before painting will present a masking nightmare, but if you paint it first, you'll just have to sand the paint off around a seam and repaint it later. The best I can say is to ask yourself at each sub-assembly, if I paint this now, will it cause me a big headache later? And if I don't paint it now, will it cause an even bigger headache? Weigh it, make a decision, and realize that if your decision turns out to be wrong, it isn't the end of the world. The model will still get made, it just might take longer.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
d_coombes

Post by d_coombes »

I just finished up construction on my contest entry and I really wish I'd built and painted that in sub assemblies...I need to j shaped brushes !
But on the other hand engineering the sub assemblies the fit neatly together would have made the whole project a lot trickier.

I usually work in sub assemblies where possible. I would define a sub assembly as a point where a natural join or joint exists. The best example of this is a gundam kit. I'll do the arms, legs, head, body, hips, hands and weapons as sub assemblies. I'll attach a painting handle to each one.... This makes painting so much easier...

With something more homogenous like a jet fighter the only sub assemblies are things like the weapons, landing gear and gear doors and maybe the tail feathers and engine cans. I always try to glue the canopy on before paint, and fair it in, because I find gaps around the glass the most distracting part of any model.

Cheers
Dave