Requesting advice re: displaying resin.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Nefud

Requesting advice re: displaying resin.

Post by Nefud »

I'm finally done with my first resin kit, Starcraft's TOS Romulan Bird-of-prey. For once I'm actually proud of the job I did, and I'm eager to display it properly. I made a rookie mistake, though. I didn't make any preperations for displaying the kit. I don't have a stand, there's no hole on the bottom, and I'm not sure what I should do.

I can live with making a hole in the model in order to insert a rod, but I'm not sure what will happen to the resin if I try. I'd hate to go all the way through the kit by accident.

Right now it's sitting on a film canister, looking very boring and sad. If you have any tips on how to display a model like this, please share.
justcrash

Re: Requesting advice re: displaying resin.

Post by justcrash »

Nefud wrote:I'm finally done with my first resin kit, Starcraft's TOS Romulan Bird-of-prey. For once I'm actually proud of the job I did, and I'm eager to display it properly. I made a rookie mistake, though. I didn't make any preperations for displaying the kit. I don't have a stand, there's no hole on the bottom, and I'm not sure what I should do.

I can live with making a hole in the model in order to insert a rod, but I'm not sure what will happen to the resin if I try. I'd hate to go all the way through the kit by accident.

Right now it's sitting on a film canister, looking very boring and sad. If you have any tips on how to display a model like this, please share.

Own a dremel? If not, get one. :)
Nefud

Post by Nefud »

Oh, crap, I forgot to mention that. I *do* own a dremel. I'm not that new. :)

I just don't know how to drill resin. Will it heat up and melt? Is there a good way to display it without drilling? I'm just looking for ideas and some technical advice.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Why not rest the model on a stand made from acrylic rods? Something like this display stand No drilling required, and you can play... err... examine the model at will. This one. requires drilling - or at least some glue, but looks cool.

Frank
Nefud

Post by Nefud »

macfrank wrote:Why not rest the model on a stand made from acrylic rods? Something like this display stand No drilling required, and you can play... err... examine the model at will. This one. requires drilling - or at least some glue, but looks cool.

Frank
Well I'll be. Creative Displays is amazing! I'm gonna balance my checkbook and see if this'll work for me! :)
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

macfrank wrote:Why not rest the model on a stand made from acrylic rods? Something like this display stand No drilling required, and you can play... err... examine the model at will. This one. requires drilling - or at least some glue, but looks cool.

Frank
How much is the non drulling one run?

BTW, to the OP, unlike plastic, resin won't melt when you drill into it, but be careful, as it is soft and can be drilled to deep on accident. I usually do it before I primer. I do a few manual turns of the dremel to get a small groove, so it doesn't slip out and scratch my model. :)

*EDIT what i originally said made no sense
Last edited by justcrash on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Nefud wrote: Well I'll be. Creative Displays is amazing! I'm gonna balance my checkbook and see if this'll work for me! :)
The stands aren't that expensive; probably close to the cost of materials if you have to buy them. If you want a fixed attitude display, some acrylic rods glued into an acrylic base should do. Probably best with either silicone feet or a dab of clear silicone on the model end of the rods, letting it cure solid then placing the model on the silicone. This would keep it from sliding around... just in case it gets a phaser hit or something.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

I always liked the concept of the little cradle that came with the AMT TOS Enterprise when it was re-issued a few years back. Notice I said I liked the concept? I didn't say I liked that particular stand.

My suggestion is to make a cradle of the same sort as the one mentioned above but make it out of acrylic or lucite. That way, under certain lighting, the model might look like it's actually in flight. Plus no drilling.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Nefud

Post by Nefud »

justcrash wrote: BTW, to the OP, unlike plastic, resin won't melt when you drill into it, but be careful, as it is soft and can melt. I usually do it before I primer. I do a few manual turns of the dremel to get a small groove, so it doesn't slip out and scratch my model. :)
I will definitely be drilling any holes before priming in the future. I can't believe I'm considering poking holes in that big beautiful bird decal. I'll probably go with the recommended stand out of sheer weenieness.