What type of glue for ASA plastic?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hobbit 77

What type of glue for ASA plastic?

Post by Hobbit 77 »

Hi,
Just purchased some plastic rod and strips from Midwest Products. I've tried using Testor's liquid glue but it doesn't melt the plastic. I hate to use super glue because I need some time to adjust the plastic before it sets. The platic is made of ASA (Acrylonitrile-Styrene-Acrylester). What type of glue would you suggest I should use?

Thanks,
Troll 7
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Is this their 'Super Styrene' stuff? I can't say I've ever heard of ASA in plastic. Film speed, yes, plastic no.

Maybe you need a 'bodied' adhesive. What do they recommend for adhesing? You might be down to epoxy or something.

Have you tried Tenax-7R ?
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Try a methylene chloride based cement such as Tenax, Pro-Weld or MBS. This stuff works on ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene), acrylic, polystyrene, polycarbonate and butyrate. ASA is similar in chemical makeup to ABS.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Hobbit 77

Post by Hobbit 77 »

Yes, En'til Zog, it is the Super Styrene sold by Midwest Products. I will try some Tenax-7R, or Pro-Weld as suggested by Owen E Oulton!

Thanks!