Sculpting your own creature- a good tutorial

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Andrew Gorman

Sculpting your own creature- a good tutorial

Post by Andrew Gorman »

By way of the what-if modeler's forum, here's a link to a dynamite tutorial on sculpting your own creature:
http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287
Lots of illustrations and demonstrations of techniques that could apply to any number of projects! And a pretty neat looking critter to boot.
Andrew
d_coombes

Post by d_coombes »

Yeah, thats really cool!
My creative juices are overflowing.
Dave
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Andrew! This is EXACTLY the type of sculpting tutorial I was looking for. Cool and informative as hell link!
JimPV

Post by JimPV »

:shock: Holy smokes, thanks for posting that link. The best sculpting article I've ever seen. Now all I need is (a lot) more talent...!
"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone"
-Coco Chanel
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

you might check out dan perez as well:
http://www.danperezstudios.com/workshop.htm
d_coombes

Post by d_coombes »

I think I want to try and do a 1/35 dino with rider... I tried to make one based on the old aurora Pterosaur ages ago, but it wasn't a great model and it was in the wrong pose... and I was rubbish at finishing things...

I think these articles will give me the confidence to start on a scratch build.

I was thinking of using thick foil ( takeaway lid ) for the wings....

Dave

[/quote]
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

d_coombes wrote: I was thinking of using thick foil ( takeaway lid ) for the wings....

Dave
[/quote]

i used metal pie pans before for wings, when i built the weird ship that sisko and his son built and then flew in ds9. don't know if any pies come in metal pans, but you can order sheet metal in the same thickness.
d_coombes

Post by d_coombes »

I think i know the things you mean... you can get disposable pie trays in safeway... they look ideal plus I won't have to wash the food off of them!
Dave
starman

Post by starman »

Is there any color photos of the garthok around ? I can't seem to get the last page of the sculpt page, thanks. Karl
"Photograph what intrests you today, because tomorrow it may not exist"