Bass Pro Shops - a place for modly bits?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kekker

Bass Pro Shops - a place for modly bits?

Post by Kekker »

Yes! I was wandering around the local one, and happened on the fly-tying section. All kinds of neat little bits and odds that can be useful in modeling.

Examples:

Lead wire. Like solder, but without rosin or acid cores. I got a six-spool pack of sizes ranging from 0.010" to 0.035". Perfect for so many wiring needs! And only $12.99!

Ultra-Fine brass wires - more wiring!

Rubber solid tubing in a couple of different sizes, perfect for hydraulic hoses.

Flat mylar strips in multiple colors - the silver medium is going to be the wire bundle wrap for the Mercury.

Many other wire/tube/line things. Plastic eyes for greeblies. And if you're doing figure work, there's a lot of furs and feathers in natural and wild colors.

The prices were pretty cheap, too.

If you don't have a Bass Pro Shop (a kind of outdoorsy superstore) in your area, try any sports or fishing store with fly-tying supplies. I was surprised at how much stuff could be applied to modeling.

Kev
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Plastic floats are useful.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Parts is parts. :D

And if you can find 'em, those hard plastic fish that you paint up like your 'trophy catch' are really handy for... um.... Fish Shaped Spacecraft.

Really! :wink: