Fiber Optic - One strand or Two?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Fiber Optic - One strand or Two?

Post by starmanmm »

Which is better, using one thick strand of FO or using a combination of smaller diameter ones to light a window area for instance?

What made me ask this question, I came across an article where they used several thinner FO strands than just one thick one.

I wondered if using multi strands gave a better result.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hm...

Multi strands give a 'back up' effect - if one strand breaks you ain't going dark completly.

Multi strands in one opening could let you give each window a feeling of 'apparent detail'. Just take strands from different areas of a bunch of different widows and run them to different light sources to give a pattern in the window - not just a dot of light. Think very low res pixel images. Could be startling and effective. Or just drive you nuts.

Then again, you could have some of the strands from some of the windows go to a flashing or modulated light to put apparent 'motion' in a few windows!

Different strands going to different color light sources - more apparent detail...

Cool!
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Well, that is an idea of something to do... different color to one strand.