Lightsheet + Glasses = ?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sdevet

Lightsheet + Glasses = ?

Post by sdevet »

I just saw Sin City, and a common effect is white light glinting off glasses, to make the lenses appear to be uniformly bright white, masking the eyes. (Also seen on Laurie Anderson's 'Big Science' album cover).

I want glasses like that. Since I can't rely on the correct alignment of lights and surfaces, I want my glasses to emit a uniform white light. I know they'd be impractical - completely opaque, for one, but they'd look amazing.

Is there anything from the modeling world to accomplish this? Would lightsheet be usable (I've never worked with it)? What about power supplies?

Examples:
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/4221/171large7jq.jpg
http://img160.exs.cx/img160/8167/sincity1pz.jpg
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

:?: :?
TB2

Post by TB2 »

Pro: I think you could conceivably do it with two power sources. As Lightsheet can be cut to just about any shape, you could probably trim it to the shape of a lens on each side with the connectors facing the bridge of the nose, run the leads to the power source(s) concealed in a baseball cap, for example. Just a suggestion; I don't profess to be an expert as I haven't actually used the stuff yet.

Con: What effect would it have on your eyes? Does Lightsheet emit light from both sides?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Well, yeah, you could, but,...

Do you want that kind of high voltage connected to your glasses? :oops:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Well, yeah, you could, but,...

Do you want that kind of high voltage connected to your glasses?
Yeah, if you want to "shine on you crazy diamond."

Couldn't resist! :lol:

As for that album cover, I would suspect it to be photographic effect.
CB2001

Post by CB2001 »

There is a big difference between the effect in the movie and the real world: I think the effect was created in post production, like most of the other effects. I mean, look at certain scenes that has color while the rest is in black and white. Look at Jackie-Boy's blood in "The Big Fat Kill". All of that may have been done in post production. If it wasn't and was shot on set, most likely they used white posterboard and a black light in order to get that glow (I did this similar effect for a rendering of "The Death of King Duncan" I shot for my english class in high school, but instead of white, I used orange cutouts on an old pair of sunglasses).

So, trying to get that same appearance in the real world may be a bit more difficult to pull of, and also making sure you're able to see.
sleepymarine

Post by sleepymarine »

Well if light sheet works even when punctured(?) u cud conceivably put pinhole in the sheet to view thru, (like those eclipse viewing glasses)

and with the sheet lit, depending on the brightness the pinholes would not be visible until someone was right on top of you....
Semper Fidelis,
The Insomniac Corporal

Zoey: "Preacher don't the bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"
Shepherd Book: "Quite specific... it is however somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps..."
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

"And in local news today, an area modeler was showing off a new 'special effect' he'd concocted. Light Up Eyes. The startling effect - glowing light coming from the lenses of a pair of old reading glasses - was quite effective, say onlookers.

Then it started to rain on the outdoor gathering....

Witnesses reported hearing a 'sizzling' sound, then the modeler began yelling and dancing around shaking his head franticly.

He was last seen running off to the West, nostril hairs on fire...

Film at 9."

:D

You better have REAL good waterproof insulation on that puppy! GOOD LUCK!
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Perhaps this is a good point to mention that, while EL light sheet, and florescent tubes can be run off of 9 - 12 volt batteries, the output of the inverters between the battery and the light sheet, or tube, can run from 80 - 280 volts. And up to a 500volt start up spike. :|

You know, that little circuit board, the ballast, the driver... yeah,...
high voltage... :wink:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

And even though the AMPERAGE coming out of the inverters is quite low, that high VOLTAGE just loves to jump gaps, follow conduction paths like salt water (sweat), and STING LIKE BLAZES!

So carefully and fully insulating ALL your wiring, connections, and solder joints is real important. :shock:

Don't ask my how I know....

(Light up belt buckles indeed....)