Teeny weeny LED's

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TB2

Teeny weeny LED's

Post by TB2 »

Anyone know a good source for teeny tiny LED's (white or clear and red). I'm talkin' a mm or two in diameter. Do they make them that small?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Scott Hasty

Re: Teeny weeny LED's

Post by Scott Hasty »

TB2 wrote:Anyone know a good source for teeny tiny LED's (white or clear and red). I'm talkin' a mm or two in diameter. Do they make them that small?
Smaller, actually, but they are surface mount (SMT). www.digikey.com is the best resource for anything you want electronic (and i DO mean ANYTHING). Order their catalog, it's only 2" thick.

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Scott Hasty wrote: Smaller, actually, but they are surface mount (SMT). www.digikey.com is the best resource for anything you want electronic (and i DO mean ANYTHING). Order their catalog, it's only 2" thick.

Scottie
I strongly second that! I've been using Digikey since they first started! (1976 or so - their catalog was about 4 pages!) I have several of their tiny SMT LEDs. They may seem daunting to work with, but not impossible.

Frank
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

macfrank wrote:
Scott Hasty wrote: Smaller, actually, but they are surface mount (SMT). www.digikey.com is the best resource for anything you want electronic (and i DO mean ANYTHING). Order their catalog, it's only 2" thick.

Scottie
I strongly second that! I've been using Digikey since they first started! (1976 or so - their catalog was about 4 pages!) I have several of their tiny SMT LEDs. They may seem daunting to work with, but not impossible.

Frank
You're dating yourself, frank.... 8). Then again, I've been using them since the early '80's.

Scottie
TB2

Post by TB2 »

Does the digikey catalogue have pics? I'm not familiar enough with this stuff to know exactly what it is I need by description alone.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

Pics and complete specs!

Scottie
chiangkaishecky

Post by chiangkaishecky »

TB2 wrote:Does the digikey catalogue have pics?
Their catalogue is available for download in pdf format.
It is also broken up into sections so you can also download the LED section by itself.
I haven't used them but beyond a surcharge for Canadian orders below $32.50 they seem fairly Canadian friendly.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Digi-Key has some TEEEEEENY little LEDs that are surface mount SIZE but have little flat wires coming out of the sides... Mercifully! :D

As I recall they come in Red, Green, Amber, and maybe Yellow. Under a 10th of an inch in size. SMT size .115 x.055 x.05 inches tall. They also have SMT ones that DO NOT have leads - just teeny solder pads.

Look at the pictures to make sure. Sorry I don't have my cat a log handy for numbers.

MODEL ON!
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

En'til Zog wrote: As I recall they come in Red, Green, Amber, and maybe Yellow. Under a 10th of an inch in size. SMT size .115 x.055 x.05 inches tall. They also have SMT ones that DO NOT have leads - just teeny solder pads
They have a pretty wide selection last time I checked, including very bright colors, blue and white as well.

The gull wing and even SMT LEDs aren't that hard to work with. It's just like doing brain surgery - after a couple of tries, you start to wonder - "so, what's the big deal?" (No, I haven't tried my hand at brain surgery, but c'mon, how hard can it be?)

Frank
thunderbearr

Post by thunderbearr »

CHeck your LHS for a product called Miniatronics. They have bulbs smaller than a pin head.

Really.
"Every cloud has a silver lining. Unless it's a mushroom cloud. Those have a lining of cobalt 60 and strontium 90." - Michael Z. Williamson