asking for ideas on making a hinge

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jonathan

asking for ideas on making a hinge

Post by jonathan »

Hi, if anyone has seen Gundam Seed and the Calamity Gundam, they will notice the twin guns on its back. these guns are built in i guess, but they are also mounted on a hinge system. the guns look to be movable up and down independent of each other. I am attempting to build something similar to mount two hper bazookas. Anyway, I know I'll need tube styrene, and to make an inner section to mounth the guns to, and an outer section to mount to the backpack unit or the mech itself. the trick though is a design for the hinge and a technique of making the backpack mount . I can see a pic in my head, but I'll need a way to make an end cap for the tube. suggestions? ideas? thanks in advance.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Try http://www.hlj.com/ (HobbyLink Japan). If you search for "PARTS" scroll past all the cars and militaria and eventually you'll come to where they list Gundam, Patlabor, etc spare & customising parts.

These range from spare guns, heads and bodies through to joints and hinges.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Here's the link to the Option System, which has joints, verners, tanks, etc.

Your other choice, if you're not willing to pay for shipping, is to hit the RC Aircraft section fo your perfered hobby store. They have a number of various types of hinges. There's a particular type that looks more like an arm than a traditional hinge that's great for such projects.
Abolish Alliteration
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

thank you