Does anyone know how to light up clear resin?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

M.T.C.

Does anyone know how to light up clear resin?

Post by M.T.C. »

I have aquired two ST clear resin 1/2500 model kits,and would like to know how to light them,does anyone have any thoughts on how?
M.T.C.

Post by M.T.C. »

These kits are 1/3900 scale,I just found out.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Several small surface mount LEDs?
Pump the whole thing full of light. Paint it black, then grey, then teeny pinholes for the windows.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Griffworks

Post by Griffworks »

Those old FXM kits are solid and extremely brittle, IIRC. If you try to drill them out to install lights, you'll likely have them shatter on you. As such, I'd say lighting those kits is impossible, tho have never tried it, so could easily be wrong.

I guess you could try your hand at making molds off of them and then casting them as hollow as you can for lighting in a clear/translucent resin. I've never tried that so couldn't given any advice, sorry.

Sorry that's not much help.
CAVEAT EMPTOR! BUYER BEWARE!

It’s advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you don’t know! Especially those who already have a reputation! Ask me about my experiences with sithlordyoda / Colonial Fleet Shipyards!

My Albums on Flickr
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have embedded leds in clear resin, just the liquitex stuff, though.

This would be good to ask in the Construction forum.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

What exact ships are they? Can you post pics or links to drawings? If we can see the design, it will be easier to make suggestions of how to proceed.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by M.T.C. »

my camera is down and I can't take any pictures until next week,but the kits are FXM Star trek Galaxy class Dreadnought and Nebula class 1/3900 scale ships everything is clear resin parts.