Newbie lighting question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Nyrath

Newbie lighting question

Post by Nyrath »

I'm trying to make a model of a three-dimensional starmap, a "stellarium". The problem is mounting tiny lights on the ends of lengths of wire. I was wondering if there is a fiber optic material that is rigid instead of flexible. The idea was to cut pieces to appropriate lengths and mount them on a board drilled with holes. If they are painted black except for the tip, it might work.

Does such material exist? Is it sturdy or far too fragile to be unsupported? Is there a better way to do this than fiber optics? (though the thought of wiring hundreds of grain-of-wheat bulbs is agonizing).
Scott Hasty

Re: Newbie lighting question

Post by Scott Hasty »

Nyrath wrote:I'm trying to make a model of a three-dimensional starmap, a "stellarium". The problem is mounting tiny lights on the ends of lengths of wire. I was wondering if there is a fiber optic material that is rigid instead of flexible. The idea was to cut pieces to appropriate lengths and mount them on a board drilled with holes. If they are painted black except for the tip, it might work.

Does such material exist? Is it sturdy or far too fragile to be unsupported? Is there a better way to do this than fiber optics? (though the thought of wiring hundreds of grain-of-wheat bulbs is agonizing).
Try this:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=148

If you want it really bright, you'll have to polish the ends after cutting.

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Nyrath

Post by Nyrath »

Thanks! I'll try it.

I wonder if gluing small acrylic spheres to the end of the rods would make the light more omni-directional?