Ambroid vs. Testors glue

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Ambroid vs. Testors glue

Post by Digger1 »

About a year and a half ago, I tried using some Amborid brand cement for plastic models. It somes in a white squeeze toob with orange striping.

Anyway, when I got it home, I tried using it on the 1/1000 PL Enterprise. When it cured, it was all yellow. Blah!

Haven't used it since. Still faithful to the Testors black applicator or the Tenax stuff. Good stuff!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Try Ambroid ProWeld. It's liquid, like Tenax or Testor's liquid cement. Has a high methylene chloride content, so it's a good idea to work in a well ventilated area, or wear a respirator. But because of the methylene chloride, it can weld a lot of different plastics.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

from what I remember in my days of R/C Model building Ambroid is best used for wooden models.

Unless things have changed and they have come out with a plastic glue as well...

Glen
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Yeah, Ambroid ProWeld is definitely a plastic cement. That's neat though, I didn't know they made a wood glue product. Learn something new every day!
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Interstingly the ONLY Ambroid cement I've found in this part of the world is the tube sh..., er stuff. Though I can get Tenax, which is the same. ProWeld is great, but Tenax smells better. Seriously.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I use the Ambroid non-toxic cement, I think it's called Safe Weld. It works great for me, and it doesn't run my wife out of the room.
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

zaphod wrote:I use the Ambroid non-toxic cement, I think it's called Safe Weld. It works great for me, and it doesn't run my wife out of the room.
Thought that would be a good thing.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

The orange Ambroid glue is meant for wood models. I've used it on stick-and-tissue free flight birds. Really nice for that sort of thing, but I'd imagine it would stink for plastics. It's meant to get into something somewhat porous and bond that way.

Methinks you got the wrong stuff.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Though it smells faintly of orange, the Ambroid Safe Weld is formulated for plastics, and comes in a blue and green bottle. For me, it works as well as the MEK-based glues without being so noxious. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but I have also seen it online. I wish it were more widely popular. I've heard of some of the old-timer modelers coming down with liver cancer, so I go for the non-toxic stuff whever I can. Of course I make an exception for the al-clad paints, for which have as much ventilation as possible.
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"