Fiber Optics, Painting, & Decals: Which Order

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

zaphod

Fiber Optics, Painting, & Decals: Which Order

Post by zaphod »

I've looked through several of the excellent threads on lighting, and was wondering how people plan a fiber optically-lit model.

In what order do you:
paint
drill
clear coat
decal?

I really should sit down and experiment with cheap kits first, I guess. Because I'm working with an out-of-production Star Trek kit, I could really use some advice. Please? O:)
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Maybe there are better ways out there to do this, but here is how I do it: Drill out the holes and insert the fibers first. Leave about a quarter inch sticking out, to trim off later. Once all the fibers are in, and you are sure everything is working normally, assemble the rest of the kit normally. Do all the putty and body work you need to do, etc. Prime and paint the kit, and even put on a clear gloss coat. Then trim the fibers as close to the surface as possible. Very carefully sand the tips flush with the surface, and try not to sand all the way through your clear coat. This is something that takes a lot of patience, and sometimes ends in failure, but don't sweat it too much. You will end up doing some touch-up painting, the trick is to keep it to a minimum. Anyway, once you've got all the fibers trimmed and sanded flush, touch up the mistakes where you sanded too deep, (hopefully not too many), and gloss coat again. Then add the decals, and a final gloss coat. You can add a flat coat here, if the model calls for it, without worrying about obscuring the fibers. It's just flat, but it's still clear.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I agree wich Badwrench, but leave the fibres loose (not glued) in position. That way you can still heat the end (to produce a lens) and either pull back or push through the fibre after you've done.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Thanks a bunch, Brad. That sounds very straight-forward.
You see, it's that one little piece of info that you need that allows you to get started. I'll be sure to post photos when I get the thing done.

Seam-filler, I'm guessing you would use a soldering iron to make a lens, is that right?
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

A lighter or a candle flame works pretty well. The real trick is trying to keep them all the same size.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

Pretty much the same technique except I cut the fiber optic at the very end after all the painting/weathering's done. I use the small curved bladed scissors that you can find in the beauty section of a drugstore.