Good way to make square windows

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Trekmanscott

Good way to make square windows

Post by Trekmanscott »

Hi all,
I'm planning a new project. I would like to light the ERTL Cardassian Galor class. I think i've got a handle on the lighting part. However the Galor has a lot of rectangular windows. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how I can get consistant windows.

Thanks!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy
M.T.C.

Post by M.T.C. »

I would probably try to take a micro drill and drill smal holes where the windows are,and maybe use fibre optic lighting to light them.Unless you are wanting the windows to stay rectangular,then I would drill holes and take an exacto blade and try to carefully cut each window to its shape,but it will take quite a while to do that.Hope that helps.At least that is what I would do,maybe someone has a better suggestion.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

I used a small "jeweler's"-type flathead screwdriver. I heated the business end with a candle flame and just pushed it through the plastic from the outside. It worked pretty well with a just a couple of minutes of practice. I won't pretend the edges were square, but they were closer than I would have gotten with a drill.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

First drill your starter hole. Then you can use a tiny square file to help turn the round hole into a square hole by slowly pressing it (forcing it)through. Then extend it into a rectangular shape. Then true it up with an exacto blade if need be. It's a slow tedious process and not easy to do but it will even get it done.

sbaxter's hot screwdriver method is an interesting idea too.
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

I have not tried this yet, but im thinking it might work depending on the thickness of the plastic (and assuming its not resin.

If you purchase a piece of square brass tubing as close to the size of the window as you can get. File the four outside edges of the end of the tube to create a "die" and using a wood block backing, gently tap the windows out.

If anyone else has tried this and has had problems let me know.

Like I said, I have not done this proceedure with models, only in my graphic design business.

Glen W
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

williamson wrote: If you purchase a piece of square brass tubing as close to the size of the window as you can get. File the four outside edges of the end of the tube to create a "die" and using a wood block backing, gently tap the windows out.
I think this would work, but I haven't tried it on plastic. I've seen it done on thin brass, to make occultation disks for a telescope camera (to block out a star's image).

Also, wouldn't you would want to file the inside of the square brass tubing instead of the outside? This would keep the cut square and even.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Go to any craft or scrap booking store and buy a punch. You can punches of almost any shape you want. You'll have to brace behind the piece, but that's the way I'd go, unless you want to square off a coupla hundred round holes and try to keep them actually square.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

You could even mix the suggestions: get brass tube (square, rectangular, the shape of the hole you need), heat it up...
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.