Help with mini trees

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jediguy

Help with mini trees

Post by Jediguy »

Hey guys, i've managed to create mini trees n stuff but can anyone explain how you can attach them to the diorama base and make them look real?

I used a real tree branch for the tree.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I made a few 4'x 8' game boards for Micro Armor years ago and did the same thing with twigs and railroad foliage. I just drilled holes in the base and white glued them in. Touch up glue with acrylic paint. Wish I had some pics.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Shepard Paine has some good books on making Dioramas. Or you could go to your local Train Hobby shop and ask them.
TB2

Post by TB2 »

As mentioned, drilling and gluing is the easiest way. If you're going to paint the branch, adding roots at the base using Milliput or another putty beforehand will make it that much more realistic. Look at real trees to get an idea of how it should look.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

En'til'Zog's suggestion about picking up Shep Paine's book is VERY GOOD. You should do this.

Small bushes or trees in the yard can be good sources of material. Dig them up and take their roots. Obviously, don't dig up a plant you want to keep. Dry the roots and incorporate into your product.

Epoxy putty can work well, too, but you will need something to model your work on. Go take pictures.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Jediguy

Post by Jediguy »

hmm thanks guy but the problem is i have tried using miliput to make roots and stuff but it just looks so fake when the branch is put in due to the colour dofferences n stuff
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

You'll probably have to paint the branch/putty and then drybrush all to make it look realistic. It make take a few tries to get it right, just experiment.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Jediguy

Post by Jediguy »

ok i will start practisin.thanks a lot.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Woodland scenics now has a set of bendable plastic trees that foilage sticks to very well. A little drybrushing, and they look quite realistic. I saw them at a train show a week ago and was impressed.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin