Boring out teeny tiny holes?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Boring out teeny tiny holes?

Post by Digger1 »

Treid a pin-vise, too unpredictable, too unweildy. I bought a few drill bits for my dremmel yesterday at Home Depot. I don't have the drill-press add-on so I don't have enough control over the high speeds of the dremmel to bore the holes needed for the Klingon BOP guns.

Anyone offer any suggestions on how to drill a small hole into a thin rod of plastic?
karim

Post by karim »

unless you have a machine lathe and turn it at a really low speed, a pin vise is your best bet.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Heated metal wire maybe (like a piece of steel guitar string)? The plastic would mushroom a little around the hole opening, but that's not hard to fix.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Or you could go that extra mile and replace the gun barrels with tubing (if you can find hypodermic needles of the right diameter). That's the usual procedure for aircraft modelers to do the wing-mounted cannons of WWII planes.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I second Chacal's suggestion. Most hobby shops and train shops carry a good selection of brass and aluminum tubing, all the way down to .062 .o.d. Replacing gun barrels is a breeze with this stuff, and it always looks better than the ones that come with the kit. Drilling out the kit's gun barrels is a mess, and getting the hole on center is mostly a matter of luck, even with a drill press. (And note, even if a drilled hole is off center by only .003, you can see it from halfway across the room. The human eye is very good at seeing when circles are not concentric). Replacing the barrels with tubing is just too easy not to do it.

My .02 quatluus.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

On second thought, yah, go with the tubing.

It's not just the holes. A lot of these molded plastic rod-type details seem to have out-of-round issues. Fiddlybits of that sort seem to suffer a lot from even subtle mold misalignments.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or try SmallParts.com for even smaller tubing.

But, if you're set on drilling them out, use the smallest bit you've got an work your way out from there. You may need to get an adapter for using truely small bits (like No. 82's). THe other trick, if you're using a powered drill and not a pin-vise, is work slow. Problem is most Dremels can't go slow enough, but the 9.6 volt Dremel cordless works wonders.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

You can some frickin tiny tubes in brass and aluminum, but be aware the wall thickness aint necessarrily perfect all the way around, so your barrel may not be perfectly centered after all.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.