Lighting Question: USS Reliant

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Beowulf

Lighting Question: USS Reliant

Post by Beowulf »

Hey all. I'm looking for some advice on lighting an AMT model kit not set up for it, namely the USS Reliant. I just thought it would be fun to add a different dimention to it.

In both saucer halves, I thought to have a white light placed beneath each bridge. They cover the hole I made and the light, so it looks, would emit from the spacings and over the saucer.
My question is this. What should I use for lighting? I didn't see anything at Radio Shack that would work.
I also intend to use some small LED lights in the holes of the aft section of the ship where a clear piece goes. I'll have to find them somewhere.

I have yet to light up a model so whatever tips you may have will be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Beowulf!

Whatever you decide to do, you will probably want to use LEDs. WHITE and BLUE LEDs use about 3.6 volts, other colors use less. You can run a LOT of LEDs from one 9 volt battery with some planning.

Sources: www.allelectronics.com and www.jameco.com for LEDs & stuff. Also check out www.superbrightleds.com and www.theledlightlcom. Check out the LED articles on the main site for more ideas. Also other threads in this 'construction' forum.

Welcome to the wonderful world of lighting models. Without using actual flame....
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Thanks, Zog. I intended to use LEDs in a few places on it. BUT, would an LED work for passing light over the saucer section, like a logo light. Or should I use a small, regular light? Wiring won't be an issue as I do avionics on aircraft.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Try a T1 or a T 1 1/2 WHITE LED with a 15 degree beam. Anyting over 3 Cd (3000 mCd) should throw a nice 'splash' of light.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Kool. 8) Thanks again. I find alot of that stuff around here between Radio Shack and Circuit City. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm NOT dealing with your attitude! I have my own to deal with!
M.T.C.

Post by M.T.C. »

Fiber optics are available to solve a lot of lighting issues,and are cheaper than the little bulbs,also you can paint the optic cable the color you want along with the end of the cable and get that color out of it.Hope this helps
max142

Post by max142 »

I wonder if thinning the plastic in the shape of the lighted area then lighting from the inside ( do not paint he inside of that area black ) allowing the light to shine through, would produce the desired effect. Along with, a light placed in the normal point a light would be placed. Tricking the eye into preceiveing
a spotlight shaped area.

If you get my meaning.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I think anything with panel lines would give the effect away. By thinning the plastic underneath the splash area, the panel lines will be the thinnest area of all, and would therefore glow the brightest. It would end up looking exactly like a light shining through a piece of plastic.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

The truth of the matter is: you can't get those spotlight effects with lights IN the model. For the filming, the actual spots were placed off the model and projected with narrow, shaped beams (tight focus and with a "mask" to shape the spotlight to an ellipse). So, if you want the same effect... Either do as thay did or paint the hull a lighter shade in "spotlight patterns". It would look funny under normal lighting, though.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Another problem is the color. In scale, white LEDs are awefully white. In most movie applications, the lights are a bit yellowish. A simple fix with a filter, but still something to consider.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_1_18_04_e.html" target="_blank">LEDs make good spot lights</a>, we would like to try one in a [brass] tube, so that one can adjust the beam by chaning the depth of the LED in the tube. Not sure how that will work, I haven't tried a tube with a white LED yet.

<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_4_11_04.html" target="_blank">They also make good sconce lights</a>
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Chacal wrote:The truth of the matter is: you can't get those spotlight effects with lights IN the model. For the filming, the actual spots were placed off the model and projected with narrow, shaped beams (tight focus and with a "mask" to shape the spotlight to an ellipse). So, if you want the same effect... Either do as thay did or paint the hull a lighter shade in "spotlight patterns". It would look funny under normal lighting, though.
It can be done!
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Mikeym_us

Post by Mikeym_us »

so what about Red Green and Amber LED's plus I also have Grain of wheat bulbs. Plus I also have the same kit that BeoWulf has plus wouldn't trenches also have to carve trenches into th interior of each pylon half and drill holes to pass wiring into the nacels?
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

There are ultra bright reds, greens, and ambers. An ultra birght yellow was used as the tractor beam emitter on the little yard tug from the same project. It projected a circular pattern on a new nacell being towed out of the Neil's big Tug.
http://www.spacemodelmania.com/models/w ... _j_332.JPG

sorry I couldn't find a picutre with the lights low, I think it's seen in the video clip under wonderfest 04 modeling events. . .