Scratchbuild model-stand

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

octagon

Scratchbuild model-stand

Post by octagon »

Attempting my first scratchbuild. The overall material is acrylic sheet, hence I am considering between using a acrylic tube (perhaps diameter 2cm to 3cm) or build a square tube (2-3cm). Its confusing when I try to decide how to stick this tube to the model, as it would have to be positioned and glued in the area which is able to carry the weight of the entire model.

Anyone seen any pictures of how this stand (vertical spine) is glued at the "T" junction of a horizontal spine in a model?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

It depends on how big and heavy the model is. You could use a screw to fasten the acrylic post to the model's spine. Or build a box inside the model to fit the post, and put it in as deep as it will go. I'll use my B-wing as an example, (shameless of me, I know. :) ) The kit is mounted to its stand via two pieces of telescoping square tube. The larger piece starts right between the engines, and runs all the way thru the engine housing, where it butts up against the frontspiece. It is butressed with gussets all along its length. It had to be strong, as the finished model is fairly heavy. I chose square tubing as it is displayed at an angle, as you can kind of see in this picture. All the gussets, tubing, and model parts were tacked in place with CA, and liberally doused with 30 min. epoxy glue.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
octagon

Post by octagon »

:D Thanks for your advise.

I didnt realise a square tube can be so useful for an angled display stand. Very cool.

Mine is just one piece vertically up from ground. I have roughly understood how you did the glue to the model section. Now the other end is the stand to the base. I think the same concept would also roughly do it.
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

Badwrench.

Very good idea using the square tubing for the stand. :idea: That could come in very handy for a model that is not ballanced well, even when level.
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

octagon wrote:...I have roughly understood how you did the glue to the model section. Now the other end is the stand to the base. I think the same concept would also roughly do it.
Yep, same thing in the base. It is very sturdy, and comes apart for shipping. I've made the mistake before of permanently attaching a model to its stand. Makes it a real pain when it comes time to take it to shows and conventions.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
octagon

Post by octagon »

hi Badwrench... thats a good idea. I will build mine with both ends removeable. Just find that the end at the base may not hold up if its not seriously glued. :?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Three words:

Radio Shack Antennas. :)

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
M.T.C.

Post by M.T.C. »

I have made many display stands for a great deal of my kits and very inexpensive too! I have used very strong coat hangers that you can get from a dry cleaners or laundry service for about a dime each,and for the base Wal Mart,Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell inexpensive wood plaques that cost .97 cents at Wal Mart,.99 cents at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.All you need is a littl paint a small drill to make your hole in the base with and super glue to hold it in place.Wal Mart carries model super glue for $1.39. I will be displaying some of my work on here in the weeks to come so check back,I am sure you can do the same or better with just a little.Hope this helps someone.
octagon

Post by octagon »

When the pictures are ready, please post them tyboy4u :D Thank you for your input