Glue Syringe

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joewhite

Glue Syringe

Post by joewhite »

I've been building models for years and I just realized that one of major frustrations that may be holding me down from completing most of my projects are messy glue applications and having to clean/sand them up. I've always seen or heard of using syringes for precise glue applications. If you use this technique or any other on precise gluing, could you please give some feedback. I normally use CA (super). Thanks in advance for any help.
Joe
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Syringes are normally used with solvent cements, and work well for that sort of thing. Cyanoacrylates, on the other tentacle, will solidify inside the needle, making it (at best) a one-shot deal. However, the same principle can be used - many hobby shops stock sets of thin teflon or nylon tubes used for superglue. The tube is inserted into the nozzle of your superglue bottle (some versions use an adapter cap). The superglue does not stick to the plastic used for the tubing, but will eventually harden and clog it. The good thing is that the tubes are disposable and you simply put in a new tube. I've used them from time to time, and I find if you're careful (making sure no glue is left in the tube after use) you can get through a few sessions before needing to replace a tube.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Owen E Oulton wrote:...sets of thin teflon or nylon tubes used for superglue. The tube is inserted into the nozzle of your superglue bottle (some versions use an adapter cap). The superglue does not stick to the plastic used for the tubing, but will eventually harden and clog it. The good thing is that the tubes are disposable and you simply put in a new tube...
I have made a few aplicator tubes with heat stretched (plastic) cotton swab shafts. They're heated (far over a candle) and pulled much like sprue, only not as far, because they will break and curl if stretched too far. Just pull them until the diameter is about a third of the original diameter, and let them cool down. Then cut on the thinnest portion with a new, sharp X-acto blade. You may have to experiment a bit to stretch enough to get it to work perfectly, but it's worth a shot, specially if you run out of store-bought tubes in the middle of the night because everybody has a cotton swabs in the house.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
joewhite

Post by joewhite »

Awesome! Thanks for the tips and info. I'll be trying the q-tips. If that don't work, I'll jus have to drive the hour to the nearest hobby shop to check for the tips. Peace!
Joe
thunderbearr

Post by thunderbearr »

Check your LHS, especially if they have an RC section, see if they carry or can get you the 'Lubricating Syringes'. These are fairly inexpensive and come with three different diameters of 'needles'. They look like regular needles from a hypodermic, but are blunted.

I think they're available from Horizon Hobby (Your LHS should know about them). They carry the 'Dynamite' brand of batteries, chargers, etc.
"Every cloud has a silver lining. Unless it's a mushroom cloud. Those have a lining of cobalt 60 and strontium 90." - Michael Z. Williamson
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

If you know someone with access to a lab, see if they can get you some pipette tips. These are the same kind of plastic as the tips sold in hobby shops, but come in different sizes for different volumes. I use the smallest I can get, and they fit right on the end of the CA bottle tip. I seal the tip with a pin or needle, and if it hardens, I can take off the tip and poke out the plug of hardened CA with a fine wire. They last quite a while like this, and you get great control. You still have to watch out for the super thin CA, but it still beats the stock tip.

Kev
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Farm and Fleet stores also carry cheap pipettes and syringes...used in vetrinary care of livestock.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Another reason syringes won't work too well with CA is because it glues the plunger inside the syringe. It also glues the replaceable tips to the end, making it impossible to remove. Still, using a syringe to apply accelerator to CA is invaluable, much better than an eyedropper.

The small diameter polypropylene tubing is really cheap, about .50 cents for two or three feet. And you only use a couple inches of it at a time. Though that stretched q-tip idea is really neat, too.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Squadron Tools makes an applicator tool specifiaclly for applying a small drop of CA glue precisely to a target. The pointed tip is only about 1/16" across with a small channel down the middle. Dip it in a drop of CA and lightly touch it to the piece and wicking action will draw the glue off the tip to where you want it. The tool is stainless stell so it's easy to clean up and you don;t end up with m ost of your glue sticking to the tool.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

It's a good idea to pump the CA applicator tube a few times after using it to get the air to purge the glue out of the tube. I usually touch the tip to a piece of paper or a tissue to help sop it out of the tip while doing this and then flow air in and out a few more times. I then let the tube sit about an hour before putting a tiny cap on. (I usually never cap it really) Anyways, this will help the tube stay unclogged and last a lot longer.

Of course make sure you aim the tip away from your face or your model when doing this. Dhoa!
Did I just see a Ford fly by?