No. 10 blades in bulk?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

karim

No. 10 blades in bulk?

Post by karim »

I usually buy #11 blades for my exacto knife in a bulk pack of 100 blades for about $12. However, one thing i do not like about the ubiquitous #11 is that the point breaks off so easily.

I'd like to start using #10 blades for heavy cutting work, but I can only find them in packs of 5 for $3. This is WAY too expensive, since I go through a lot of blades.

Does anyone know of a source for bulk blades other than #11?
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

don't know about bulk, but i do more scratchbuilding then anything else i prefer the # 24:
X-ACTO No. 24 Blades
http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm ... &store=001

it can be used in the plastic grip big handled too, by x-actol or in the regular size excel tool grip. tips don't break. i use it extensively.
hope this helps. i go thru a bunch of them, but since they are more durable then some of the others they last reasonable well.
bobbyfett

Post by bobbyfett »

You might want to try eBay. Search for #10 exacto and you should find some 100 packs for about $20.
http://www.starwarsmodels.com <-- I'm always looking for content contributors. Want to lend a hand? PM or E-Mail me!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Try here.

Near the Bottom
Abolish Alliteration
karim

Post by karim »

Jeebus... their "discounted" price for #11's is twice what you pay at every other store :shock:

Thanks for the links :)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Karim wrote:Jeebus... their "discounted" price for #11's is twice what you pay at every other store :shock:

Thanks for the links :)
I haddnet noticed that...I was just amazed at finding #10's in bulk after a long troll throu the internet.
Abolish Alliteration
karim

Post by karim »

Oh, I appreciate it. It's probably not a bad price for the #10s, as their points wont break off so easily...
thunderbearr

Post by thunderbearr »

See if your LHS can order them for you.
"Every cloud has a silver lining. Unless it's a mushroom cloud. Those have a lining of cobalt 60 and strontium 90." - Michael Z. Williamson
Eagle

Re: No. 10 blades in bulk?

Post by Eagle »

karim wrote:....This is WAY too expensive...
You should live in the UK sometime!... :roll:

:)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
bobbyfett

Post by bobbyfett »

http://www.starwarsmodels.com <-- I'm always looking for content contributors. Want to lend a hand? PM or E-Mail me!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Karim, do you have a bench grinder or a belt sander? You can use those to knock the back edge off a #11 blade, and they'll last much longer. I hit the back edge at about a 15 degree to 30 degree angle, about the same as the front edge. And I only knock off about 1/10 of an inch, just enough to remove the brittle tip. The only trick is you can't let the blade touch the wheel for more than a second at a time, or it will heat up and anneal. But still, it only takes a couple taps to modify the blade.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

#11 blades

Bench grinder

Bevel back to match front

got it!

Thanks!

:D