Adhering Removable CAD Print Templates On Styrene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

The Curmudgeon

Adhering Removable CAD Print Templates On Styrene

Post by The Curmudgeon »

Greetings,
I need to fabricate a series of identical parts for some 1/20th scale gun turrets on relatively thick styrene between 1/8" to 3/16" thick. My thought is to use AutoCAD to print out 1:1 templates and somehow affix them to the styrene sheets and then use a bench mounted disk sander to sand the rough shape down to the template lines and then remove the template paper revealing a finished part. The issue is how to attach the printed templates so that they stay in place during the sanding and then remove the leftover paper. If the base material were something solvent resistant there'd be no problem, use label stock or plain paper adhered with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and dissolve the adhesive with a strong solvent. This is obviously not an option for styrene. So, any ideas? One thing I should mention is that the CAD prints need to be done on laser printer compatible paper stock.
Thanks!
SpaceRanger1

Re: Adhering Removable CAD Print Templates On Styrene

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

I've used 3M Spray Mount spray adhesive to attach laser-printed paper templates to styrene sheet for years without any problem. Spray adhesive on paper, stick to plastic, trim to outline of part with scalpel/X-acto knife, clean up edges with a sanding block, and peel off paper. The plastic is not affected, and any remaining adhesive left stuck to the plastic is easily removed with an old cloth dampened with alcohol or mineral spirits. I've even used liquid syrene cement to attach templates to sheet styrene when they don't have to be removed (unseen interior parts, for example).
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Would white glue work?

TazMan2000
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

TazMan2000 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 am Would white glue work?

TazMan2000
I've used white glue; the bond, of course, is not good; but if you're careful the template stays stuck well enough to finish cutting out the part.
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

very thin double sided tape.
The Curmudgeon

Post by The Curmudgeon »

SpaceRanger1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 pm I've used 3M Spray Mount spray adhesive to attach laser-printed paper templates to styrene sheet for years without any problem.
Which one? 3M makes 1.5 bajillion types of spray adhesives. This the one you are talking about?

SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

That's the one. The thing to remember is to spray it on the PAPER template, not the sheet plastic. The paper will absorb the volatile compounds that could potentially damage the plastic. That being said, I've never experienced any damage to sheet styrene using this technique.

It's also important to remember to spray the adhesive on the REVERSE of your printed template (i.e., the side that sticks to the plastic, NOT the image side). Don't ask me how I know this. #-o
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark