Soft Vinyl model needs some weight suggesstions needed for filler(s)!!!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DarKev

Soft Vinyl model needs some weight suggesstions needed for filler(s)!!!

Post by DarKev »

Hello

I've got an old ELFIN Soft Vinyl Mecha Model and I was wondering what should I do to give it some weight and/or strength. I've got plans to add some movable joints because I don't want this thing to be a statue . I was thinking of either foam (hopefully one that will not expand too much), epoxy putty or just super glue some thick sheet plastic inside the various structures (or a combination of all these options).

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank You!
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
DaveVan

Re: Soft Vinyl model needs some weight suggesstions needed for filler(s)!!!

Post by DaveVan »

Back in the day I used plaster of Paris in the legs. Cheap, easy and stable......never attacked the vinyl.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Second the plaster method, too. I built my first large scale figure kits in vinyl, and plaster in the legs not only lowered appreciably the center of gravity, it also stabilized the legs, supporting the weight of the upper body.

Just make sure you let the plaster dry out THOROUGHLY before you "close" the parts. The plaster will not react with the vinyl (unlike other petrol-based stuff), but any humidity inside can couse long term trouble, e .g. through mold growth. Yuck! :|
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
naoto

Post by naoto »

One caution about plaster -- the reaction is exothermic (i.e. gives off heat) when it is setting up -- likely to be hot enough that it may deform soft vinyl. Similarly resins could also get hot when they're setting up.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've used regular hardware store concrete mix, it's dense and while it is exothermic it's a lot cooler than plaster.

Ken
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Does it need to harden? I've only ever built a single figure, but when I did I filled the legs with sand and then capped it with a few pieces of styrene that I glued down. That was a few years ago, but it looks like it's still working to me.
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

The couple vinyl kits I have built I did this. I packed the limbs, torso, etc very tightly 3/4 way full with newspaper. I then cap it off with latex caulk.

Max Bryant
naoto

Post by naoto »

As for filling a vinyl figure -- definitely want to do that to prevent the problem I saw at Anime Expo 199. The air conditioning in the main dealer's room was having difficulty, and the air conditioning in the secondary and tertiary dealer's room (these were added because they would've had too many people in the dealer's room) completely failed. The (pre-built) vinyl figures on display were visibly leaning with the legs beginning to buckle (since they were hollow).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Wug

Post by Wug »

Old time vinyl modelers used Mountains in Minutes, a two-part foam for model railroaders. I've never been able to find it.

I've used aerosol foam from the hardware store. Avoid the "minimal expansion foam," it expands with enough force to distort parts.

Be careful with the stuff. Once it gets on something you can't remove it. Wrap the parts in Saran Wrap and Parafilm,

A friend of mine used aerosol foam to seal leaks in the roof of his old van. He ruined his favorite coat and required an emergency haircut.

Mike
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I'm currently working on an Elfin soft vinyl figure of Yuri from Dirty Pair. This is a picture of the kit I found on the web:

I put large fishing weights in her boots and then filled around them with model railroad plaster. She's posed on her knees, so I don't want her to fall face forward.

You want to retain poseability though. I'm not sure how you can achieve articulation if the kit isn't meant for it, but what you could do is fill the limbs with paper mache. I bought some paper mache that is usable right out of the bag. In America I'd bought some that required water to be mixed with it and it was a bit messy and took a very long time to dry.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
naoto

Post by naoto »

DarKev wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am… Vinyl Mecha Model … I've got plans to add some movable joints because I don't want this thing to be a statue. …
In adding movable joints, I presume you're planning to use an armature (i.e. an internal "skeleton") ?
Naoto Kimura
木村直人